Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: drop in's

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

drop in's

i was wondering if there is a true drop in set of sights for my springfield 1911-a1. ones that require no machine work at all. not that it is a problem but i just don't want to go cutting dovetails on my slide. any help would be nice

Posts liked by others
    Try King's. Don't remember exactly what they are called (Hardball, I think) but they make sights with the medium tenon that Springfield uses. Still have to stake the front sight though. I replaced the sights on my GI with them. Big improvement.

Brownells used to carry them, I heard they no longer do.

Quote Originally Posted by skpp108
    Try King's. Don't remember exactly what they are called (Hardball, I think) but they make sights with the medium tenon that Springfield uses. Still have to stake the front sight though. I replaced the sights on my GI with them. Big improvement.

Brownells used to carry them, I heard they no longer do.
    Got a pic?

Posts liked by others

Springer Sights

twins owner:

Straight from the source:
    http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html

-Hardball Sights-

mitchjoe

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjoe
    twins owner:

Straight from the source:
    http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html

-Hardball Sights-

mitchjoe
    Cool. Thanks for the pics

Posts liked by others
    thanks for the web site i have a 3 dot set on the way. when they talk about "stake the front sight" what is stake

Posts liked by others
    Staking is basically like setting a rivet.

The front site has a small protrusion that fits into a slot or hole in the slide. If you remove the slide from your 1911 (and of course remove the barrel from the slide) you will see this protrusion. During installation, the site is set in place, and then a "stake" comes down and strikes the protrusion, causing it to deform and swell slightly, locking the site in place.

Replacement of the site will involve drilling or grinding out the old staked protrusion of the old front site, installing the new front site, and then staking the new site in place. You will want to be careful to support the site and slide so that nothing gets bent or scratched. I just sent the slide of my new Springfield GI back to Springfield because my front site was bent during installation at the factory (see http://www.forth-armoury.com/temp/1911/1911_tryout.htm )

Note that my above instructions are theoretical based on my looking at the weapon. I am not a pistolsmith and have not done the above task.

Steve

Posts liked by others
    You need a staking tool to reach into the slide and expand the tenon. Brownells has them.