Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 inch 1911s unreliable?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

3 inch 1911s unreliable?

I saw Rob Pincus say in a YouTube video that 3 inch 1911s are unreliable for self defense. Any 3 inch 1911 owners out there agree? What has been your experience with them?

Posts liked by others
    I carry an SA micro compact that I have had for three years and have about 500 rnds through. I have never had a failure to feed or extract with fmj's, but it will not feed hp's. Since I prefer fmj's anyway, no problem. I love the pistol and, at self-defense distance (<30ft), I can't tell the difference from my full size pistols. Categorical statements like that one by Pincus sometimes make people seem less intelligent than they probably are. If you are losing sleep over reliability, carry a revolver...
    Last edited by Gobus1; 25th August 2012 at 20:30.

Posts liked by others
    I carry an SA EMP 40 and a Kimber Ultra CDP II frequently. Both have functioned reliably. When at the range I shoot 100-150 rounds and the gun is cleaned and lubed. I'd guess that Rob Pincus thinks they should shoot 500-600 rounds a day before cleaning.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    As my late friend and Para Ordnance founder, Ted Szabo, told me once, when you reduce the barrel length you also reduce the envelope in which the pistol works properly. Anything which is not correct, can throw the pistol outside the limits of normal operation. So while 3-3.5" 1911s can be totally reliable, they can also be jamomatics. It all depends on the particular pistol.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (1) :
    Gruntshooter (27th July 2018)

Posts liked by others
    One of the guys on here said, a while back, that the more you depart from the original design in any way the more you increase the risk of problems. I think that is probably true. I have a plain old SA GI that I often carry, but I still like the convenience and compactness of the SA micro. But, I have never had a problem with my S&W 1911 or my Colt Commander, either. Now, if I were a competition shooter and put hundreds of rounds through in a month or so, all that could change.

But, figure, if you are carrying cocked and locked and using good ammo, you are going to have one shot unless it is a dud. So, while he is flopping around, tap/rack and try again.
    Likes (1) :
    Gruntshooter (4th March 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I've had 2 Colt Defenders and they were both finicky. These 2 Defenders will exhibit jams every 2-3 mag full of round nose 230 grain. As John (Commandante) mentioned they may wind up being jamomatics. That is so true in my experience. So for those who are lucky enough to have a 3" 1911 and have been reliable, lucky you!! My Officers and compact 1991A1 have both been reliable so far.

Posts liked by others
    What are the factors that would contribute to the problem? I do not know much about gunsmithing or the manufacturing process. I suppose shorter clearances and a steeper feed ramp would be part of it.

Posts liked by others
    I'm not an expert and my answer may or may not be right. In my opinion it's the short cycle that affects effective feeding. I just have no luck with 3" bbl .45 acp 1911s.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    As my late friend and Para Ordnance founder, Ted Szabo, told me once, when you reduce the barrel length you also reduce the envelope in which the pistol works properly...........
    With the belief that this is a true statement, I have owned 2 "3-inchers," both of which were totally reliable, one of which I still own and carry about 1/3 of the time. I don't know if there's any point in naming names. Based on what I have read and been told, it appears that some 3" 1911's are reliable and some are not without particular regard to make. I guess I've been fortunate to have gotten two good ones.
    John B
    What goes around comes around.

Posts liked by others
    It's a simple matter of mechanics that shortening the barrel length on a 1911, and making the other, associated, dimensional changes, will make the operation of the gun more susceptible to malfunction. Short 1911s will be more finicky.

Yes, you will be able find the examples of short 1911s that are completely reliable in normal use. But you will also find more examples which are likely to give you problems than with Commander or Government size pistols.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast