Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 to Convert to 22LR?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Best 1911 to Convert to 22LR?

Hi: I am about to satisfy my lust for a new 1911 .45 pistol...I want to be able to install a conversion kit so I can practice with 22lr ammo to keep from going bankrupt...Do any folks out there have suggestions for the best 1911/22 conversion kit combination? The budget is under $700 if possible...Thanks for the advice...

Steve in Kansas

Posts liked by others
    I too, may soon be quite interested in the answer to this.
    What I can say at this point...
    Sig and Tactical Solutions 2211 is a no-go out of the box (or at least not with my XO), and the two are a bit over the $700 mark.

Posts liked by others
    My best answer would have to be: Whatever 1911 you have.

I have a Ciener conversion kit that I've had for probably close to ten years. It has functioned on every receiver I've tried it on. Currently, it resides on a $25 no-name receiver I bought from Sarco on a clearance sale and built out using all generic parts from Brownells and Sarco.

IMHO, if any 1911 conversion won't function on all 1911 receivers, there's something wrong with the conversion.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have the Advantage Arms standard conversion. It has 10k+ rounds through it and kept clean it is essentially 100% reliable with CCI Mini Mags. I really don't have enough experience to recommend a frame. I permanently host mine on a Kimber Eclipse, on which I use the AA supplied 18# MS. It fits in my 1911 45acp holster and has the lock back feature which makes it a perfect practice platform for IDPA, etc. The conversion was $275 with one mag and spare mags are $25. Accuracy is outstanding. Don't know what more on could ask. BTW because the slide is AL the weight of the gun with the conversion is a bit less than that of a steel 1911.
    Last edited by castnblast; 30th July 2012 at 09:01.

Posts liked by others
    I have a Ciener on an old (1971) aluminum frame built out with GI parts.
    I found it is much more reliable with the lightest main spring I can find. Don't know what the weight is, it is just the lightest of several I have.
    Don't know if this is normal for all conversion units, but if so, to change from 22 to 45 you would also need to change the main spring or the entire MSH.

Posts liked by others
    My Kimber works fine with the 18# MS with either the 22LR of the 45ACP upper.

Posts liked by others
    Pick up a Marvel Unit 1 or a TacSol conversion. I've seen a few Marvels sub $400 lately with extra mags or threaded. This is my current set-up and I love it

Posts liked by others
    I have a similar question. I'm looking for a lower-priced 1911 (Taurus PT1911, Para GI Expert, Springfield GI, etc.) to use with either a Marvel Precision Unit 1 .22 conversion or the Nighthawk .22 conversion as a dedicated 1911 .22LR. I'm hoping to avoid buying the wrong 1911.

Is anyone using one of the lower-priced 1911s with either of these units? Have you had any problems?

Posts liked by others
    I use my Colt and Kimber conversion on my Norinco 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Cawdor
    I have a similar question. I'm looking for a lower-priced 1911 (Taurus PT1911, Para GI Expert, Springfield GI, etc.) to use with either a Marvel Precision Unit 1 .22 conversion or the Nighthawk .22 conversion as a dedicated 1911 .22LR. I'm hoping to avoid buying the wrong 1911.

Is anyone using one of the lower-priced 1911s with either of these units? Have you had any problems?
    I don't see much point in buying a complete pistol if the goal is to build a dedicated .22LR shooter. If you buy new you'll spend at least $500 for the pistol, then you set aside the slide and barrel that you just paid money for.

If you go to Sarco, you can buy a bare Armscor/Rock Island frame for about $100, and then spend another $100 or so for the parts kit to complete the frame. Then install the conversion upper of your choice. You save money, and you don't have parts left over looking for a home.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Austin T (2nd February 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast