Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Kodachrome!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Kodachrome!

Did that get your attention? If so, you're going to love this collection of vintage 'chromes' shot on 4x5 sheet film. They are from the early 1940's

http://www.shorpy.com/Large_Format_Kodachromes

An example:

"The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I used to love shooting that stuff! Brings back some fond memories too.
    Does anyone still process that anymore?.......better yet, is it still made?
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I believe the last Kodachrome processing lab closed on December 29, 2010.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ncviking
    I used to love shooting that stuff! Brings back some fond memories too.
    Does anyone still process that anymore?.......better yet, is it still made?
    No ... and no.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    It hasn't been made for about 4 years and last year Kodak filed for chapter 13.

Ilford is still making B&W film.

Agfa and Fuji are still making colour negative film.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Kodachrome was too expensive to make and to process, only a few labs around the world were capable to process the film. As others have said, Kodak stopped making it some years ago and the last film was developed in December 2010.

I loved that film, back in the film days. Now, I shoot Velvia, if I am using film.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Kodachrome was too expensive to make and to process, only a few labs around the world were capable to process the film. As others have said, Kodak stopped making it some years ago and the last film was developed in December 2010.

I loved that film, back in the film days. Now, I shoot Velvia, if I am using film.
    I loved the sharpness and how it reproduced red and pink hues. I even took an honor as photographer of the month from an old photography forum.....
    John, I loved Velvia and Astia too but haven't shot film in over ten years....ever since I said farewell to my F5......boy do I miss it.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. Kodachrome was a magnificent film. And Velvia is one too, it's just that it doesn't have the same colors as the Kodachrome. Beautiful colors but not the same as Kodak.

I still have an F5, and F2A and an FE to shoot film with. I am waiting for our vacation time to take the Beast (that's the F5) and the Princess (that's the F2A) out for some pictures. I have some rolls of Velvia that I need to shoot, they are already one year past their expiration date. But they've always been kept in the fridge, so they should be OK.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    take the Beast (that's the F5) and the Princess (that's the F2A) out for some pictures.
    Oh man.....that's too much! LOL
    The "Beast" is what my wife turned into when she found out I traded my F4 and N90s for one. I used to shoot race photography (stock cars) and BMX bicycle racing....kinda strange when you could blow through an entire roll of film in 3 seconds.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    It's a beast all right, carry it around for a day and your shoulders will hurt. Especially with a heavy lens. And yes, it can go through film fast. And it is brutal with the focusing, I've never seen a camera being so brutal with that screw on the lens mount, as the F5. Instant focusing. The only thing that bothers me with the F5 is that I need to press that little button to switch it on and off. I need to find a way to take cancel it, it's killing my nerves.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC