Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Replacement Lamp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Yes, one thing I forgot to mention is that you can also configure your light the exact way you want it. For example, you can get a forward clicky switch or a reverse clicky one. Or you can get the plain switch or the shrouded one. Same thing with the front end of the light. All kind of different settings. The reason I prefer the L2T is because it has the rubber ring in the middle, which makes using the light so much easier.

They also have complete kits (flashlight, bulb, batteries and charger) at very attractive prices, like this one below, which gives you the L2T with the 880 Lumens bulb, a car and mains charger and two 18650 batteries.

And as Daveohno said, you can buy a light now and upgrade it later on.

Oh yes, one final thing: if you want your LEDs to produce the highest output, make sure you power the light as close to its maximum voltage as possible. For the U2 bulb, you can use two 3.7V RCR123 batteries for a total of 7.4V or three CR123A non-rechargeable batteries for a total of 9V. Obviously the second configuration will give you the max output from that LED which is designed to work up to 9V. At 7.4V you will still get about 80-85% of the rated output. The P7 should be used with either two non-rechargeable CR123A batteries (6V) or with one 18650 rechargeable battery (3.7V). The 16850 is the same length as the two CR123 batteries.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I placed an order with Solar Force for some 123 batteries and one of their led lamps. They're in Hong Kong and the package was in the mailbox on Saturday. The service was pretty fast. About $25 for the lamp and 10-123 batteries. The replacement lamp is for a Surefire Asp light with a rechargeable conversion tube extension. I don't even know what model it was, I bought it sometime around 1996. I got annoyed since the thing kept turning on in my gear bag and the 123's were discharged before work several times, that's why I got the conversion. The original bulb was something like 50 lumens, the upgrade is 225. I just partially charged the nicad battery, it is one of those 4-2/3? size batteries that are in a blue Sure Fire shrink wrap. It is a total of 4.2 volts I believe. I turned off all the lights in the 1st floor of the house and this thing is now very bright. These led lamps are amazing.

Thanks for the info John, as you can see, I placed an order right away.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member
    Last edited by daveohno; 7th January 2013 at 04:23.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    The blue 123 rechargeables are rated at 3.7V but they usually are about 4-4.2V. So using two of them with bulbs rated for only 6V is a no-no. I use them only with bulbs that are rated for up to 9V and they are great. I guess that even the green batteries which are rated for 3.2V are too much for their P7 bulb. So I am using a single 18650 battery with them, it's the same size as two CR123 and rated at 3.7V (more like 4.2V real ones).

And yes, they are very prompt and trust-worthy.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    Last edited by John; 7th January 2013 at 04:43.

Posts liked by others
    Also an update, I ordered an L2T body with a U2 Drop-in and 4 RCR123A 880 mAh batts. Light body is very good quality aluminum. LED bulb has a larger pattern than the Cree R5, but the R5 is a little brighter in the center. Both bulbs project over 135 yards. I paid $45 for the L2T, U2 and 4 RCRs shipped. Very pleased. Small, powerful lights. Just think, a few years ago I paid about $240 for a custom LED light that puts out about 160 lms.
    tc

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Indeed the L2T with the U2 bulb is a very small, handy, powerful light. I have about 5 of them scattered around the house. And it is not battery-peculiar, you can use any battery you like with them. 3.7V, 3V, 18650 3.7V, anything you have available.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    The NRA store sent me an email that has a Surefire P-61 replacement lamp at 120 lumens for $20.
    SEMPER FI

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Paying 50% more for 7 times the output is a worthwhile investment I guess.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Solar Force

John, Thanks for the link to SolarForce. I bought one of the L2 kits with two rechargeable batteries and chargers for home and car. WOW what a bargain and what a powerful light! After some confusion on my shipping address, they shipped it out and I received it in S Florida in about 4 days. I will definitely buy from them again.
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    No problem, glad if I can help.

If someone of you guys who purchased a light from Solarforce, can do a comparison with a light they already own, it would be great. So far, I have found that these lights are by far the most powerful ones in the market (for their size), but it would be interesting to hear other people's experience.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Un-scientific test

OK here goes. I have many flashlights around everywhere I live. One on every night stand, next to the phone stand, in my cars, etc. you get the idea. My wife thinks I'm nuts right up until the lights go out. then I'm a hero. I've tried many different kinds and always come back to Surefire. I have three older three 123A battery Surefires (not sure of the numbers) that I bought after market Cree lights for last year. Very nice upgrades, but not as smooth working due to the size of the heads. Had to remove the oversize springs and now sometimes I have to fiddle with the on/off switch. I have a newer two 123A battery light(again I don't know the number). It is very bright and small so easy to use and carry. Of all of these, the new SolarForce is the brightest. I live in Florida in the winter and my backyard is Florida Bay. It is dark at night. I mean pure black over the water no lights black out. I shine all three into the darkness. The 3 battery Surefire is very bright and maybe just a little whiter, but doesn't seem to carry as far. The 2 battery Surefire is definitely less bright and not as white. So, if I add it all up, the SolarForce is hands down winner, if for no other reason is the dollars involved. I really can't add up all the money I have invested in flashlights, but it would be half as much if I could go back and order SolarForce lights. And you can customize each light! What a deal. Hope this helps. TC
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast