Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Replacement Lamp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Surefire Replacement Lamp

What do you replace the P60 Surefire 6V lamp with. I have several older Surefire G2 flashlights and the lamps are burning out.
    tc

Posts liked by others
    There are probably a dozen different brands of LED replacement lamps.
    I found a real Surefire LED on sale but you can get either cheaper or brighter. Maybe both.
    Malkoff is at the high end of aftermarket conversions, probably more expensive than the whole G2, but with very good reviews.
    A quick search found off brands down as low as $10.
    Google or go to
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...acement-Please

LEDs have very long life and draw less power so your batteries last longer.

Posts liked by others
    Many thanks. Lots of info to tread through. Ordered a pair of Cree Drop-in LEDs. Should be quite an improvement.
    tc

Posts liked by others
    Just an update, the dropins are very powerful, but had to slide off the big spring for them to fit, took about 1 second. Also ordered rechargable batteries for the G2s and D cells for the Mag lights along with a LED replacement bulb. Boy, this LED stuff is a wonderful improvement over bulbs, and the new batteries are also high Ah output. HID is the next step. Maybe someone will build a HID dropin for a G2 in a couple years, LOL.
    tc

Posts liked by others
    I can concur with the LED modules, they are much brighter and the batteries last much longer. I have 3 Streamlight Stinger flashlights and have converted one to a high power lamp, better, and another one to an LED module, better yet!

I have an old SureFire Commander 9N flashlight and if I could find an LED conversion for it, I would.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member
    Last edited by daveohno; 23rd December 2012 at 21:39.

Posts liked by others
    Now they have high mAh rechargable batts and multi mode drop in leds, just unbelieveable. I have found good things at lighthound.com.
    db

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Since you guys revived this thread, let me give you some info on a few of the LED bulbs I use.

There is a company called SolarForce, their web site is here: http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/

They are completely trustworthy, I've tried them several times. When a LED bulb I had purchased from them stopped working after a couple of days, all it took was an email and a replacement bulb was shipped the same day.

Now, if you are interested in really powerful flashlights, they have several options.

First of all, let me tell you right from the start, that their Surefire replacement bulbs may not fit 100% in your Surefire light. It depends on your light (I have a 6Z), some of the bulbs are a bit too long to allow the front part of the light to be completely screwed on the body. In this case, you can always file the bulb reflector, to make it a little shorter, so that the light's front cover screws on the body completely. Is it worth it? I do not think so, I am using my 6Z with one of Sorarforce LEDs and I am perfectly happy with it. But, read below, I may have some other solutions for you.

Now, why you would want to go to the trouble of fitting the bulb in your light, when there are bulbs that will fit 100% without any issues?

Well, how about 800 or 900 Lumens of light?!?!? Yes, Solarforce offers you some bulbs rated at more than 800 Lumens for your small Surefire. However, there are some things you should watch. Let's see:

Solarforce P7 LED bulb.

This is a great bulb, rated at 900 Lumens, but with one caveat. Top voltage is 6V, if you use anything more than that, you'll destroy the bulb. Either use non-rechargeable CR123 batteries (two) or better yet use the 16850 rechargeables. These are rated at 3.7V, which still allows the LED to function at about 80% of its output. Price of this LED is $20.

If you do not want to worry about voltages etc, then your best bet is Solarforce U2 bulb. This LED bulb works fine with 2.7-9V, so you can use two rechargeable 16340 batteries rated at 3.0 or 3.7V without any problem. The output of this LED bulb is 880 Lumens and you can get two of them for $30.

I bet you you have never seen your Surefire so bright before.

Now, Solarforce is also producing complete flashlights. I am particularly fond of their L2T light, I have three of them spread around the house. You can even select the bulb they'll ship with your light, if their standard package doesn't satisfy you. Now, for $30 you get a flashlight with 880 Lumens output, do you still want to spend time modifying the bulb for your Surefire 6Z or 6P?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    WOW JOHN! Thanks for the info, placed an order today. Should also be good for starting charcol, paint burning, sending messages to outerspace, etc.
    tc

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping to take some pictures comparing those flashlights with a standard Surefire light, but unfortunately, I no longer have any SF bulbs. All my lights are now fitted with the SolarForce ones.

Let me see if I can come up with a comparison between P7 and U2 bulbs.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I found Monsterflashlight.com in our national FOP magazine. It is a good, little company that offers some great flashlights at a good price, but lighthound and Solar Force have larger selections. Plus they sell upgrades to your lights that you already own.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast