Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: upgrade my lens

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

upgrade my lens

I'm looking to upgrade a little on my camera. I have a D50 with a Nikkor 18-55 and a Nikkor 55-200mm zoom but was looking at either a Tamron, Nikkor or even a Sigma lens in 18-270, 18-200 or now looking at a 28-300. Any suggestions.
    Its a Nikon D50 so I'm not a professional but want an all around good lens to keep me from having to change lenses all the time.

John or Hunter, I expect either of you could answer this well.

I hear the superzooms have low light issues as well as some darkening around the edges in the higher zoom ratios.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by gottripletsNC
    I'm looking to upgrade a little on my camera. I have a D50 with a Nikkor 18-55 and a Nikkor 55-200mm zoom but was looking at either a Tamron, Nikkor or even a Sigma lens in 18-270, 18-200 or now looking at a 28-300. Any suggestions.
    Its a Nikon D50 so I'm not a professional but want an all around good lens to keep me from having to change lenses all the time.

John or Hunter, I expect either of you could answer this well.

I hear the superzooms have low light issues as well as some darkening around the edges in the higher zoom ratios.
    The Nikkor 18-200mm VR or VRll is a good "do everything" lens. I think it's a rare day (with a few exceptions) that Tamron, Sigma or Tokina can make a better product (optically speaking) than Nikon.
    What focal lengths do you do most of your shooting at?
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    It varies, mostly around 35 - 55, but I do like the ability of having the wide angle of 18, but sometimes like that reach of 200mm. Going to Disney in December and want an all around lens to carry instead of two lenses

Posts liked by others
    Generally the image quality on super zooms will not be quite as good but honestly Nikon uses good glass so I would not worry too much about that truthfully. If you are not looking the the images 100% you will never know.
    at 200 mm I believe that lens is at f/5.6 at it widest. In morning and daylight this will not matter but as dusk approaches that is a bit slow.
    If you are going to be doing most of your shooting during the day and don't want to carry around a few lenses or spend the money on a lens with a constant f/2.8 the super zoom is really your only option.
    My girlfriend who also knows a bit about photography and often is my second shooter uses a Canon 18-200 during the day and that lens does a great job.
    If you are thinking about taking some shots when it is getting dark you have 3 options. Get a flash for your camera (best option), get a fast prime such as a 50mm f/1.8 (second best option) which will be a bit cheaper than a flash or use the one camera flash (worst option as it creates a very harsh/flat light and drains your battery faster). Also with a long lens and on camera flash the lens will block some of the light and create a dark shadow on your subject.
    You can always call me and I will be glad to help you anyway I can.

Posts liked by others
    It varies, mostly around 35 - 55, but I do like the ability of having the wide angle of 18, but sometimes like that reach of 200mm. Going to Disney in December and want an all around lens to carry instead of two lenses
    Keep in mind that if you go with a super zoom, you will be adding allot of weight. I last did Disney with an F4 and a heavy zoom around my neck...not fun. You know...for inexpensive lenses, the 2 that you have are optically very good.

Posts liked by others
    Ok, after I posted this and before you two replied I ran across a deal that I couldn't pass up. You may tell me I messed up but so far I am not disappointed.
    I found on Craigslist a Nikon D80, with a Sigma 28-300 autofocus zoom on it with the double battery pack that has the aperture button on it to make sideways shots easier as well.

I paid 350$ for it all. So I am seriously considering selling my D50 and the 55-200 and keep the 18-55 for wider angle shots. May sell it too and get a 12-24 lens later for the wide angle stuff.

What you think. I was leaning towards the Nikon 18-200 Hunter but I couldn't pass up this deal. If nothing else I upgraded the camera body and will come out even when I sell the other stuff.

Viking, I know exactly what you are saying about weight, but my 55-200 Nikkor lens isn't any lighter than this Sigma lens. However, the 18-55 is significantly less.

Hunter as for the Flash, I have been planning on that for a while. I can see exactly what you are talking about the flash being "abrupt" with some of my shots. I remember when I was into photography as a kid with my dad that the indirect flashes were much better and diffusing light and preventing such glare in the picture. Just building up a little at a time.

Posts liked by others
    Ok, after I posted this and before you two replied I ran across a deal that I couldn't pass up. You may tell me I messed up but so far I am not disappointed.
    I found on Craigslist a Nikon D80, with a Sigma 28-300 autofocus zoom on it with the double battery pack that has the aperture button on it to make sideways shots easier as well.

I paid 350$ for it all. So I am seriously considering selling my D50 and the 55-200 and keep the 18-55 for wider angle shots. May sell it too and get a 12-24 lens later for the wide angle stuff.

What you think. I was leaning towards the Nikon 18-200 Hunter but I couldn't pass up this deal. If nothing else I upgraded the camera body and will come out even when I sell the other stuff.

Viking, I know exactly what you are saying about weight, but my 55-200 Nikkor lens isn't any lighter than this Sigma lens. However, the 18-55 is significantly less.

Hunter as for the Flash, I have been planning on that for a while. I can see exactly what you are talking about the flash being "abrupt" with some of my shots. I remember when I was into photography as a kid with my dad that the indirect flashes were much better and diffusing light and preventing such glare in the picture. Just building up a little at a time.
    I would say at $350.00....you did real good! Have fun with it at Disney.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I am late to this party, I just saw this thread.

Although I may be of no help any more, super-zooms are a compromise. With that said, and although I have an Nikkor 18-200mm VR, I won't use it for anything serious. My lens is seriously fuzzy, at its widest aperture when used with my D300, less so if used on the D700 (which is a full-frame camera), And while I do use it for snapshots, or when I do not feel like carrying a bag with two or three lenses in it, I would never trust it in low light conditions with the D300. I plan to have Nikon check that combination, because the difference is significant between pictures shot with the same lens but with a different camera.

Another thing I would like to have with such a lens is VR. These lenses tend to be heavy, and especially when fully extended they are front-heavy, which makes the VR indispensable.

With that said, and again this is a personal issue, the D50 is a camera I wouldn't sell. The reason being that it has a very unique advantage compared to the D80. It can be used with a flash, with synch speeds up to 1/4000th of a second. This camera, together with the D70 is unique in Nikon's dSLR history, for that feature alone.

Try out your new lens and compare it to the 55-200mm you already have. You may be surprised with the results, those plastic Nikkors were excellent lenses, and as ncviking said, they are much lighter than the Nikkors or Sigmas.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    John, I had heard that about super zooms. I'm not taking professional quality, and I figured I'd try it out.
    I am torn about selling the D50 too.