Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Qualified with my 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Qualified with my 1911

I just qualified with my Colt Combat Commander in the Courts Security/Prisoner Transport class for our jail. My best friend qualified with his Kimber Pro Carry. We were the only two out of almost 30 in the class with 1911s. One HK, and the rest were all Glocks, XDs and M&Ps. We took a lot of flack form the senior firearms instructor, who is a Glock nut, but we both did well. I told him we would just be that much more ahead on combat reloads than anyone else. It was also fun when he told everyone not to over oil their tactical tupperware to comment that only REAL guns needed oil.

Posts liked by others
    When I went through the state refresher course in 1996, the senior instructor was a 1911 guy. If you were qualifying with a 1911, you had a "Man's" gun. Everything else was something less.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on passing the class. As for the instructors "real gun thoughts"...ah what ever!
    Wait a minute, you mean a company other than Colt makes pistols... Wow! Never thought that would ever happen. LOL

Posts liked by others
    At least the instructor chooses the right caliber. He carries a Glock 21. He is just a little narrow minded on his weapons choice. On out written final, we had to fill in a diagram of parts. He had a disassembly lever in his diagram and I asked if I had to fill in that part since my pistol didn't have one. He didn't find the comment as humorous as I did.

Posts liked by others

Talking

^^^^^^^

Doesn't appear he'd think launching a recoil spring plug as amusing as some would.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by khiggins498
    ... I told him we would just be that much more ahead on combat reloads than anyone else.
    +1 If you're gonna carry a 1911 on duty (and I do), you've gotta be good at reloads. (I own a bunch of spare mags and I load 'em up before I head for the range.)

Posts liked by others
    They took the 1911 off our approved list over 20 years ago, along with the 44 Magnum and 357 magnum loads.

I was at the range to qualify with my bright stainless Python and a female officer was having trouble with her new Gen 4 Glack, ack, ack. Glack perfection... Yup. I commented that the reason she was having trouble was because she had a plastic abomination. The range officer saw the Python in the holster, glared at me and said I'd be in trouble because after 6, I was done. I laughed and said if I needed more than 6 to finish the job, I needed more range time. He scoffed at me. I told him I wasn't an advocate of spray 'n pray.

He'd probably say that with a 1911, after 7 or 8, you'd be in trouble. These plastic pistol people... You never heard of a gunfight in New York City in the old days of 60 or 70 rounds being expended in a gunfight. It was 3 or 4 and the incident was finished.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member
    Last edited by daveohno; 17th June 2012 at 17:01.

Posts liked by others
    This is the true...