Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Just put a Remington R1 Stainless 1911 on layaway with buds

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just put a Remington R1 Stainless 1911 on layaway with buds

I finally started to pull the trigger on a 1911. I have a .22lr in 1911 but no true 45. Also I have never used layaway or Buds before. so I guess I killed 3 birds with one stone.

I wanted a entry level 1911 in stainless. Did not really want to pull it out of savings but could swing about $200 a month in fun money so wanted to go the layaway route. Origanally was looking at the Springfield GI, but the local stores did not have any in stock (nor buds). Most people seem satisfied with Buds, and they offer 90 layaway.

Also they have the Remington R1 1911 Stainless for $618 (including insured shipping) and my local guy charges $25. So it looks like I am getting it for $643 OTD.

Not a ton of reviews out there on the R1, espically the stainless, but for the most part what I have seen has been positive for an entry 1911. The only thing I was really hesitate on was that it does not seem to be +p rated, but that was not a deal breaker. A few questions.

1) What can you tell me about the Remington R1 (espically stainless)?
    2) Are most entry level 1911s +p rated?
    3) Have you used Buds Layaway? How did it go?
    4) What can I do to keep my mind off it till I get her out of Jail?

Thanks
    CZ 2075 CZ 83 Remington R1-S 1911 Colt 1911 Beretta 84 Beretta 21a SIG P250 S&W 5906 S&W SD9 Ruger Security Six Ruger LCR Ruger Single Six Ruger Vaquero 45colt Ruger Blackhawk 45colt/45acp Ruger SP101 Ruger MKIII H&R 949 Taurus TCP NAA Mini 22lr Makarov 380

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, I cannot answer your questions but looking forward to pics and range report.

Posts liked by others
    1. I can't tell you too much about the stainless R1. I just picked mine up at the gun shop today. I haven't shot it yet, but this is what I know. The slide to frame, barrel to slide and barrel to bushing fit are very good. My grip safety is a little loose, but not enough to be distracting. The sights are similar to, but much better than GI and are the 3-dot variety. The safety lever is pretty much standard GI, as is the grip safety, trigger, and hammer. Mine has a good, soft, glare-free finish and a nice pair of double diamond walnut grips. My trigger pull is 4.5 lbs with no creep and just a bit of over-travel.

2. I don't know.

3. No.

4. Shop for range ammo, or if you can, reload copious amounts of ammo. Go out and persuade everyone to vote this Fall. (For gun-friendly candidates) Buy your wife something nice. Wives need toys too! Buy some western paperbacks by Louis LaMour (sp?) or William Johnstone. Get a part time job as a greeter at Wally World to help you get it out of layaway sooner.

Posts liked by others
    I took the R1 to the range today and fired 50 rounds of hardball and 20 rounds of my target reloads with 200 gr. LSWC's. I alternated magazines and had zero issues with the gun. My only criticism is that it shoots about 1.5" low at 7 yards using a 6:00 hold. Below is a 10 shot group at 7 yards with hardball. I think it's going to be a keeper.

Posts liked by others
    Just picked one up myself. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it seems like a decently made 1911 for the price point. I am quite fond of the satin stainless finish it has.

Slide to frame fit is decent for a production gun on my particular example. Trigger breaks at 5.5 pounds with a little bit of that Series 80 creep.

Posts liked by others
    Got her home this weekend. Man is she good looking. I will probably not get to shoot it until next weekend. But I am impressed with the fit and finish. I am not a 1911 guy, so I am not in a position to give a good review of tolerances.

I replaced the factory walnut grips with some buffalo horn grips. They look jet black until the light hits them right then they have streaks of gray and white. Pics cannot do it justice.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the white dot sights. Much improved over regular GI. The trigger is good. A slight creep, but not much at all IMHO

All told from Buds to my house it was $643. So far I am happy

CZ 2075 CZ 83 Remington R1-S 1911 Colt 1911 Beretta 84 Beretta 21a SIG P250 S&W 5906 S&W SD9 Ruger Security Six Ruger LCR Ruger Single Six Ruger Vaquero 45colt Ruger Blackhawk 45colt/45acp Ruger SP101 Ruger MKIII H&R 949 Taurus TCP NAA Mini 22lr Makarov 380

Posts liked by others
    Very nice looking pics of your Remington.

Winchester's RA45TP creates some rather fast slide speeds and I've read that the recoil spring should be increased to 18.5#s if one chooses to carry this ammunition. I've tested this ammunition against very hard cow bones, capturing the bullet in water, it's a tough bullet design that hits very hard and it meets FBI penetration requirements.

There is no way to predict incapacitation times, so one needs to decide if +P ammunition is worth the additional long term beating your Remington will take compared to standard pressure bonded or HST ammunition.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon
    Last edited by horse 91-A1; 12th June 2012 at 15:33.

Posts liked by others
    Nice 1911s everyone, but is it me or do some of them have slides that overhang the frame a tiny bit (in the rear)?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    Nice 1911s everyone, but is it me or do some of them have slides that overhang the frame a tiny bit (in the rear)?
    It would be nice to see a few more close-ups.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon