Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 1911 hammer down with chamber loaded is safe for series 80?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    I submit that you can't have it both ways. If a stressful situation makes it difficult to, as you say, rack the slide or cock the hammer that same stress can also lead to dropping the pistol, right? Why do you think the firing pin safety was invented? Do you think someone somewhere dropped their 1911 and it fired? I dropped mine once, being stupid, and it fell directly on the muzzle. It was being carried Magnum PI style (which I don't do anymore) and in Condition 3 so there was no discharge. Don't discount the ability of any of us to make a butterfinger or dumb move and end up dropping a pistol. It's not a "slight risk" based on Walt's tests. The US Military after WWII required the 1911 to be carried Condition 3. I wonder why?
    Well, point taken. However, most of us practice draw and fire fairly often, probably reducing the risk of dropping the pistol under stress. I doubt if soldiers and Marines in WW II carried in Cond. 3, and I carried a 1911 for a while at Da Nang cocked and locked and no officer or NCO ever fussed at me. I never had to fire it in anger, however. So, I guess we are back to personal choice and risk assessment.

Posts liked by others
    Both of my 1911 are sries 70, but fitted with titanium firing pins plus extra strength pin springs. Those two changes "should" at least lessen the risk, but the best remedy remains to not drop.

prs

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456