Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT 1911 duo tone, my first 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

PT 1911 duo tone, my first 1911

ok it stared out like this, the first day i got it i slapped a magwell on it and loved it, except for that part that i cant ur taurus mags but oh well

the next step was go a lil crazy in the wilson combat website:
    barrel bushing comp, 18.5lb recoil spring, recoil buffs, ultralight skeletonized hammer, pachmayer grip wilson screws of 2 diff kinds and grip medallions,

disregard the nitrile gloves i had it totally tore down cleaning every part and reassembling the day i put all the parts on it, the compensator required a lil bit of fitting and it doesnt require a 2 peice guide rod as wilson says it will if your willing to use a slender long screw driver to depress the recoil spring plug to remove the compensaor

also dont mind me i was trying to get a front pic with my iphone and to get it i had to be in it lol

Posts liked by others
    cool mods on a good looking duo tone Taurus ! Like the hammer. You'll like that 18 lb spring
    Last edited by slomaro; 22nd April 2012 at 23:09.

Posts liked by others
    The 18.5 lb spring can lead to bullet setback jams or bolt over base jams. I would ditch it and go with the 16lb standard. Ask me how I know this

Posts liked by others
    I haven't had any probs with that spring in my full size Springfield. I think it's actually better if all you ever shoot is 230gr. The new ruger SR1911 comes factory with a 18.5.

Posts liked by others
    The 18.5 lb action spring doesn't really reduce recoil but will increase the impact and wear to your slide stop pin and lower barrel lugs.

The original 1911 spring was about 14.5 lb and the guns were known for their reliability.

Posts liked by others
    +1. In my experience the heavier springs haven't done much for me. The lighter ones are surely easier to rack/cycle and if you change 'em "regularly" usually don't have wear issues. Again, this has been my experience.

BTW, don't worry about the gloves! I think it's a great idea. It must be, I wear 'em working on guns, too!LOL
    Just my $.02
    Last edited by Alabaster; 24th April 2012 at 14:15.

Posts liked by others
    wel i still havnt got to shoot it to see how much if any al this made for a difference, but after reading everyones comments on the spring i may go back to the old one however all i shoot is 230gr fmj and 230 gr hydrashocks it did have cycle issues with lower grain hollow points but the big 230's works good, and fmj's are no problem.

thanks for all the comments guys

Posts liked by others
    picked up another and plan on giving it the same treatment

Posts liked by others
    ok just got dont polishing the slide on my 1st one it took quite a few hours but i think its totally worth it! compare it to my new totally stock pt!
    Last edited by snoplow; 19th July 2012 at 16:44.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Slopoke
    The 18.5 lb spring can lead to bullet setback jams or bolt over base jams. I would ditch it and go with the 16lb standard. Ask me how I know this
    maybe it was your ammo i sent pmc, steel case tull ammo, lawman, and a few others down range along with federal hydrashocks all w/o ever once having a jam or feed issue but i only shoot 230gr rounds which is the only thing you can shoot with a 18.5lb spring.

in a new experiment i plan on jamming a 24lb spring in it and shooting .45 super thru it just to see how it does. took a new pic of the guns so i thought id post that up. i took some time and polished the slides up on both pt1911s and i love it.

also with the wilson magwells u can use the factory taurus mags if you have a grinder and are willing to grind down some of the plastic on the base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast