Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Moronic decisions.....

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I purchased 2 Chinese made 4 wheelers (I do live in the south) 4 years ago and both of them have not run in 3 1/2 years. The big 150cc with CVT trans was for the girl and the small 110cc was for the boy. For the lofty sum of $2500 they each had some fun for about 6 months.....not exactly my crowning moment of intelligent purchases. Both 4 wheelers are now rotting in the garage, taking up room.
    and yes John, I put my 205lb frame on the little one and crashed into a tree...I was just a little top heavy.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Well, for those interested in the issues with Chinese manufacturing, here is a list of problems I've encountered during the two and a half days we own these things:

- On both bikes, the tube connecting the fuel canister to the carburator was installed in such a way that there was a sharp bend, before the tube attaches to the carb. The bend was enough to not allow any gas reaching the carb. I had to remove the tube and cut about 4 cm from it, to make it fit nicely.

- The one bike has lost its string-starting device, it just blew itself off, when I was trying to start it.

- The second bike starting device has a broken piece (a plastic disk from which a part broke), it still works as a starter, but I am sure it will stop working soon enough.

- Both bikes dripping oil, from the front edge of their mufflers. These were supposed to be sealed at that end, but I can see the plastic ring being installed wrong and being chewed a little.

- One bike had the floater inside the carburator installed upside-down. As a result it was dripping gasoline from the overflow tube.

- Both bikes are falling apart, most of the screws are not tightened enough. And I've spend quite some time tightening some of them, but I guess I have to go over each and every nut, bolt or screw I can lay my hands on.

- The front suspension doesn't seem to have any ... suspension. I think it's just two tubes, no springs or shock absorbers in them. The rear suspension (although it has a spring (at least I can see it) doesn't seem to be working even if I sit on the bike. That spring is too stiff probably, and of course it doesn't compress with the 25 kgs the kids weigh. So it's as if they are riding a simple bicycle.

- At least once, maybe twice, the accelerator was stuck in the full-open position. Alex ended up hitting the storage cabinet we have in the garden, thank God he didn't get hurt. I need to figure out if this was real, or if he just kept the accelerator full open, due to panick.

- There is a weird system holding the two front suspension tubes to the steering wheel. One of the nuts there was too wide for its screw to tighten the tubes. I had to go to a dealer's store Friday evening, 5 minutes before closing time, and get another nut from the store's show bike, to fix this.

- On one of the bikes, there is a metal plate welded to the frame, on which the manufacturer's information plate is riveted, it's also the plate on which the VIN is printed. That plate has a sharp corner, which was protruding from the frame enough to cut the kids leg. I had to hammer it in, using a heavy hammer.

- On one bike, the front fender can not be installed properly, because one of the screws that secures the fender's base on the front suspension is damaged (a King Kong was used to tighten that screw, so the cross in which the Philips screw driver goes is now a round hole). So the front fender is now held in place by tie wraps.

Oh well, at least these things didn't cost me $2,500, I only paid 400€ for them, and that included two helmets.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 22nd April 2012 at 07:48.

Posts liked by others
    The last time I visited my wife's native country I was intrigued by some very nice looking little 125-cc (or maybe 150-cc) street bikes that I saw all over the city. I don't remember the brand, but that will be seen to be academic. I asked my adult step-son about them and he dismissed them as "Chinese junk."

One day my wife and I had to go deep into the bowels of the center of downtown to attend to some bureaucratic business. As we walked out of the garage where we had parked I saw a long row of motorcycles parked along the sidewalk. What I found fascinating was that I saw what was clearly the exact same motorcycle under at least three different brand names. Toward the end of the line there was one more of the same bike, but this one said "Honda" on the tank.

So it was pretty obvious that the Chinese had taken a Honda and reverse-engineered it. And then, in typical Chinese fashion, they set up one or more factories to spit out innumerable copies of the thing under as many different brands as possible.

Here's a photo of the Honda version. It is a 125-cc.

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Those Chinese copies... by any chance did they have Italian-sounding names?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Man, this is getting ridiculous! These things are a piece of junk.

First, since the starter doesn't work on Alex's bike, the kids are using only Jim's one. On which, I have just found out, that one of the scews of the upper engine mount was missing. It either was never installed or it fall off. Problem solved with a new screw.

Then there is the issue of the carburator. I have to adjust its idle speed every few rounds they do in the yard, since it's going up and down. Crazy things!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Eagle
    Awesome, Steve! Now THAT's a "bike".

John - I had one of these but to my dad it was always "That [what beavers build] motorcycle!". Just start saving to buy them something with 4 wheels when they can get their license.

I had one of those Hondas also. It was the best running bike I ever had.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234