Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moronic decisions.....

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Moronic decisions.....

Well, some times, I have a very bad desire to kill my wife. This is one of them times.

Some days ago, for some weird obscure reason, that only the females of the human specie may understand, my beloved wife told the kids that they could have a real bike!!!! They had some money left from their birthday gifts, so somehow, in some way, she told them that they could get a couple of real bikes. I guess it was an effort to make them understand that buying car models costing 50€ or 60€ (which of course they destroy in a couple of months time) is stupid, when they could buy two bikes with the money they had.

Of course, she didn't consider the fact that bikes are dangerous, or that the kids are only 10 years old, which means their self-preservation instincts are still non-existent. And of course, the kids grabbed the opportunity to get those bikes (I do not know a kid who would say no, to such an offer).

And of course, it was up to daddy, to figure out what bikes to get (mom is always for cheap things, "Find some used ones" as if used kids bikes grow on trees). After she was satisfied that there are no used kids bikes in the market, she gave her permission to buy new ones. But of course, they had to be cheap. Which means they had to be Chinese. Well, even if she wanted more expensive ones, no one seems to be importing more expensive ones in Greece, so that was a moot point. And of course, dad had to go buy the bikes (with instructions to bargain for a better price or at least a free helmet etc). And of course, dad had to spend a whole day assembling the darn things and fixing all the stupid things the Chinese had done wrong (like installing the floater inside the carburator upside-down, so that gas was pouring under the bike. Or making sure that one of the nuts which are used to secure the front shock absorbers had stripped threads. Or that each and every bolt was loose. Or the fact that the carb of one bike was adjusted in such a way that it wouldn't idle. And of course, the kids were all over me, asking when their new toys will be ready. Grrrrr

Anyway, after all those happy moments, when dad was cursing his luck and mom was chatting on the Russion version of Facebook with her friends, and after some sore fingers, the bikes started and run like they should. And here are the results.

Yes, Alex, as always, was eager to be the best driver, so he had a ... close encounter, with a tree.

And here are my charming kids having fun.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MVI_1690.mp4

Thank God, they are not as fast as I thought they were, and given the tightness of our garden, they can't speed enough to be of great danger to themselves or the dogs (which, by the way, were scared to death by those noisy toys).

P.S.: the quality of the pictures and especially of the video is not something to write home about, but I hadn't used the Canon S90 for so much time, that I had forgotten how to adjust it.

P.S.2: And for those interested, these are powered by a 2-stroke, 49cc engines, with an auto gear box. Disk brakes on both front and rear wheels and a single rear shock absorber with coaxial spring.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 20th April 2012 at 07:46.

Posts liked by others
    Just don't let them out in the street!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    No way! The agreement was that these are for "in the yard only" or else......

I just hope the neighbors don't call the cops. These things make some noise, just like a chainsaw! Two of them working together and the noise is enough to .... make you want to be some place else.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Uh-oh, these 50cc motors, they're 2-strokes??
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Yes, so I have to remember to shake the canister I have for their gas well, before I add any gas to them. And of course, I have to add oil in the gasoline when I buy more.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    If the gas (and oil) money comes out of their allowance, you might get to limit their running a little.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    If the gas (and oil) money comes out of their allowance, you might get to limit their running a little.
    ...and their understanding of what it's like to own and care for your "toys." That's a great idea, if we're into "teaching lessons" about spending your money, etc.
    John B
    What goes around comes around.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 20th April 2012 at 09:28.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Yes, Alex, as always, was eager to be the best driver, so he had a ... close encounter, with a tree.
    I'm guessing he get's a bit of that from the old man.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    When you said "bikes" I thought of the things you peddle and wondered what the problem is. Now I understand.

Just think, in a few more years they'll be shaving their heads and wearing leather jackets with the sleeves cut off. How do you say "[prohibited word for the devil's domain] Angels" in Greek?

For all you bikers out there, I'm just kidding and giving John a bad time.
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    That's why I said it was a moronic decision Frank, but as you and I know very well, it's never good to argue with the lady of the house.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast