Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

• Section Widget

• Categories Widget (Show All)

• Recent Articles

• 1911 Recoil spring test for binding

Sometimes we need to install a recoil spring which is not exactly made for the length of our pistol. The issue then is how to know if the recoil spring binds (becomes a solid pipe), when it is installed inside the pistol.

To test this, install the spring and leave the recoil spring plug out of the gun. Pull the slide full rearward. Place a strip of masking tape on the dust cover...frame...and make a witness mark on the tape that's aligned with the end of the bushing. Make sure that the slide is FULLY rearward, against the impact abutment.

Install the recoil spring plug and again pull the slide full rearward. If the end of the bushing aligns with the witness mark, you're good to go. If the end of the bushing is forward of the witness mark...the spring is stacked solid, and is limiting the slide's travel. Clip a half coil and check it again. Cut a half-coil at a time until the end of the bushing lines up with the mark.

If the spring stacks solid, the slide is stopped by the spring and not the impact abutment. That will break the bushing in short order, and likely damage the slide in the bushing's lug raceway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to test if your recoil spring is binding started by 1911Tuner View original post
    Comments 9 Comments
      Pappy -
      I find it easier just to align the edge of the tape. Place tape and cut between the moving part and non-moving part. No pencil mark.
      1911Tuner -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
      No pencil mark.
      The pencil mark goes on the tape. When ya pull the tape off...the pencil mark disappears along with it.

Pappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner View Post
      The pencil mark goes on the tape. When ya pull the tape off...the pencil mark disappears along with it.

Why not place tape vertically and align the tape edge? A horizontal cut will give a sharper witness reference.
      1911Tuner -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
      Why not place tape vertically and align the tape edge? A horizontal cut will give a sharper witness reference.
      That'll work, too. I've done it. The only problem I had was keepin' the tape from gettin' all squirrely when movin' the slide back and forth.

I just use a machinist's scale for a straightedge to make the witness mark.
      Pappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner View Post
      That'll work, too. I've done it. The only problem I had was keepin' the tape from gettin' all squirrely when movin' the slide back and forth.

I just use a machinist's scale for a straightedge to make the witness mark.
      Different paths to the same destination...

Thank you Tuner...
      Hylander -
      Thanks for the Info.
      Is this the proper way ?
      If so mine is good to go, I have Buffer installed.

Joni Lynn -
      Hmmm.............pencil huh? I'm using crayons. I guess this is the wake up call, time to grow up a 'lil bit.
      Seriously though, thanks for the info on that, I figured it was soemthing like that but never had need yet to do it.
      Hylander -
      Quote Originally Posted by Joni Lynn View Post
      Hmmm.............pencil huh? I'm using crayons. I guess this is the wake up call, time to grow up a 'lil bit.
      Seriously though, thanks for the info on that, I figured it was soemthing like that but never had need yet to do it.
      Actually that is Ink, only us Grown ups get to use it
      I didn't know if I needed to check or not, since I have never checked I thought I should.
      garrettwc -
      I have Buffer installed.
      Ack! Add that one to the list. I'll discuss it with you in the other thread rather than clutter this one up.

Sponsors Panel
    If you intend to buy something from Brownells, please use their banners above. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
    If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Non-gun-related supporters.
    Thank you for visiting our supporters.