Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSE HELP - Question about AC Commander Mags

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

PSE HELP - Question about AC Commander Mags

Hello all - I figured I should ask since I can not find an exact answer to my question about mag selection with the AC Commander.

Went to a gun show this weekend and got my hands on this little gem and IT HAS CONSUMED ME.... great looking, solid feel, and fit and finish seemed nice and tight. The features were right up there with what I need and some of my wants so this is pretty much a done deal... did I mention that IT HAS CONSUMED ME.... lol

Here it is -

1 -What mags have you found to be the most reliable in this specific gun? I will be shooting walmart whitbox jhp and fmj because that is what I have access to for the price. My tolerance for bad experiences is low so I am wanting to give myself every opportunity to fall in love with her from the jump. I think they come with Novaks, but have been leaning towards Chips power mags (8rd) or Wilsons 47d (8rd) -

2 - Is anyone using 7rd mags? I do not mind giving up a round IF, and this is a big IF, it means better reliability. Hows the saying in the revolver world go? 5 is better than none?

Thank you much for any assistance. I will be back checking in throughout the day as I am shopping as I type.

I will be doing my standard break down, clean and lube...

Posts liked by others
    I'm a Colt guy and like the Colt / Metalform and Check-Mate magazines.
    But some people like the Wilson's I use their parts, but haven't used any of their mags.
    I have a Mec-Gar and an ACT mag, both seem to be good.

But your asking about a specific mag for a specific brand 1911 type pistol and I'm sure there will be a dozen answers.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    The problem is that all brands, of guns and magazines, have tolerances in manufacturing. A magazine that runs fine in YOUR Colt may choke in mine.

I don't think this question can be answered. Review other magazine threads. For every ten threads about how great ___ magazines are in ___ pistols, there will be five other threads about how terrible those same mags are in that same brand of pistol.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    FWIW, I've found Kimber and CMC [Shooting star] 8 rd mags to be unfailing in my three 1911s, a Kimber Pro Carry, a Citadel subcompact, and an AC Trophy. But then, these are the only ones I've tried in addition to the ones that came with the Citadel and the AC....

Posts liked by others
    what Hawk said.

if you get the pistol, borrowing someone elses mags may give you an indication. but as he pointed out.

what works in mine may not work in yours...
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    I don't think this question can be answered. Review other magazine threads. For every ten threads about how great ___ magazines are in ___ pistols, there will be five other threads about how terrible those same mags are in that same brand of pistol.

I understand - I attempted to put this in the metro/firestorm forum but it was moved because it was mag related. I can honestly tell you that I did a solid search before posting this.

I was looking for input from American Classic Commander owners, past and present.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by crp1542
    FWIW, I've found Kimber and CMC [Shooting star] 8 rd mags to be unfailing in my three 1911s, a Kimber Pro Carry, a Citadel subcompact, and an AC Trophy. But then, these are the only ones I've tried in addition to the ones that came with the Citadel and the AC....

did your citadel and ac come with the novak mags (or act branded)? how did they perform for you compared to the cmc?

thanks to all for the info shared

Posts liked by others
    ordered 2 wilson combats 47d's and have a power mag being sent for testing.

thanks all.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dregot
    I was looking for input from American Classic Commander owners, past and present.
    Such input is of academic interest only. As has already been posted, magazines that function perfectly in one pistol may fail miserably in another pistol of the same brand and model. Asking for input only from owners of your make and model gets you no closer to finding what will function in your pistol than asking for general input as to what magazines function best in 1911s.

I won't mention the brand, but I have had new magazines from one of the major "names" in the magazine game that failed so badly in my pistol that it locked up tight and the slide had to be hammered of the receiver. (Literally -- and this was the consensus of myself, the owner of the range, and the range's resident gunsmith.)

The mag manufacturer told me my gun was "out of spec." It's a Colt Combat Commander, and it runs flawlessly with the original Colt magazine that came with it, aftermarket Colt/Metalform magazines, and Check-Mate magazines. Yet other members of this forum, with Colt pistols, swear by (rather than at) this brand of magazines.

There simply is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dregot
    did your citadel and ac come with the novak mags (or act branded)? how did they perform for you compared to the cmc?

thanks to all for the info shared
    The Citadel came with just one mag, an ACT 7 rounder. I got two Kimber 7 rounders for it. The ACT has a medium-sized basepad, while the Kimbers are flush. All three have been perfect. For cc I use the two flush mags, and all three for range practice. Same story with the AC Trophy, with 8 rd mags.
    Last edited by crp1542; 5th January 2011 at 12:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast