Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative lubricant -- I hope you don't think I'm crazy!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I have switched to Wilson oil and grease.

Only time will tell if it was smart.

Posts liked by others
    I use 0-20 syn oil 25%, transmission syn oil 50% and stp additive 25% for slides

Posts liked by others
    I don't use anything that's very thin, as it won't stay in place and do its job as it should.

Any type of grease will work, with a drop of oil on either side of the barrel link...which is the only place I use oil.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    The mix that I use is one similar to the one the military has used at least so I was told by a older gentleman that served in the Army.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Collyer View Post
    The mix that I use is one similar to the one the military has used at least so I was told by a older gentleman that served in the Army.
    I find that highly unlikely. The U.S. military has specific standards for lubricants and protectives, and specific products made to their specifications for each purpose. I don't think any armorer would mix up a batch of motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, and STP (the last of which won't even be in the military supply chain, and the first two of which will be in the motor pool rather than the arms room) when there are standard products that are in the supply chain and that they are authorized (if not required) to use. And I really don't understand the logic of using a thin motor oil and then fortifying it with STP -- why not just use a heavier viscosity of motor oil? STP is not a lubricant, it's a "viscosity index improver" (which is a fancy way of saying it makes oil thicker).
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    All I know is that one of those vehicle lube blends is known as "Marine Red." Does that mean the USMC really uses it?

As far as the suitability of vehicle or industrial lubes versus "gun oil", there is one brand that started out as an industrial gear drive lube additive. Since it didn't do anything special when used straight on a gun, I added it to my big can of Army surplus Oil, Preservative and Lubricant. Works as well as anything.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry I said where I got it from, but that is what I use and it works. I believe the thread was asking what you use.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    All I know is that one of those vehicle lube blends is known as "Marine Red." Does that mean the USMC really uses it?
    I wonder if that's just an alternate name for Ed's Red.

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod19936.aspx
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    No, I recall Marine Red as Mobil 1, ATF, STP, but google brings up several formulations, none as light as Ed's Red with all that kerosene and mineral spirit.

Posts liked by others
    I always considered 'Ed's red' as a cleaning solution not a lubricant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast