Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 1991 Combat Commander Review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt 1991 Combat Commander Review

We have added a new review of the 1991 Combat Commander in the current issue of our ezine. You can read the review here. Please feel free to discuss the review in this thread.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Uh-oh, it's reports like this one that have the potential to start a really big fight in my household...

Great review, as always!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Thumbs up Very Good Review!

As evidenced by my avatar, I am particularly fond of the Colt 1991 Commander (Model 04691).

Through literally thousands of rounds fired, my example has never had a shooting malfunction. I did have a slide stop issue which was easily rectified by purchasing and installing a Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop. A couple of years ago, I also replaced the mainspring housing with an all-steel part from Wilson Combat. I noticed absolutely no unusual wear on the polymer MSH, and it resides in the Colt box, ready for use, if the need arises.

Like the test pistol, my Commander has an exceptional trigger! Since my pistol is frequently used as my concealed carry gun, I performed the sear spring adjustments mentioned in the review. The sear now releases the hammer with a consistent 4.75 lbs. of pressure.

Thank you for a very comprehensive and well-illustrated evaluation of one of Colt's most outstanding pistols.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio Vista Slim
    Thank you for a very comprehensive and well-illustrated evaluation of one of Colt's most outstanding pistols.
    I will second that.

I don't have a current Model of this Colt Commander, but have owned several different ones over the years. I did have a Model 1991A1 and it was an excellent pistol IMO.

Currently there are two Commanders in my home, both of them .38 Supers. One of these is a Colt M1991A1, that is rollmarked "COMMANDER", on the slide, the other is a Colt XSE LWT. These guns, as have most of the Colts I have owned live up to the expectations most of us desire from Colt.

Almost bought a used Model of this Commander, but a couple of other Colts followed us home instead.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Hawk,

Thanks for the review. Very well done.

A great pistol too. In my opinion, one of the best buys in the 1911 market today.

Posts liked by others
    Nice review!

I like that pistol very much, It has been on my "list" for quite sometime, but something else seems to follow me home every time...

The rear sight looks a little abnormal on that particular example, it doesn't appear uniform from side to side...

Unfortunately, I am so much not a fan of the "100 years of service" roll mark I guess I will have to wait for 2012 production!

Robert.
    NRA Endowment Life Member.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    You may want to address the sharp edges that you encountered, and hopefully Colt will get the hint and dress the edges down like they did back on the Series 70 guns and before.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Great review. I still prefer the Lightweight Commander for carry and a full size 1911 for range use. But what the heck I may get a 1991 too. I kind of like them all.

Posts liked by others
    Good reference information on the Commander, an excellent firearm. You can't get enough information on this pistol. Thanks for the review.

Posts liked by others
    Good review. I just picked up the same gun over the weekend. No complaints.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast