Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: SIG Ultra Nitron

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SIG Ultra Nitron

Hello All,
    After some research, I purchased a SIG Ultra Nitron. Primary reason for purchase was for concealed carry. Could not find much in the way of reviews on this firearm but what I did find convinced me that this compact firearm had the potential to be an excellent choice in a 1911 45ACP for the stated purpose.

If you are not familiar with this particular pistol, it is an Officers size with a 3.25" barrel and compact Officers size frame. The frame is alloy and the slide is steel. Weight empty is advertised as 27.5 oz. Weight fully loaded with 230gr JHP's is 32.2oz. Advertised magazine capacity is 6 rounds. It was interesting to note that the magazines supplied with this pistol are actually 7 round mags that fit flush with the bottom of the grip giving it a 7+1 capacity.

Much has been debated on the reliability of short barreled 1911's and so it was with some trepidation that I headed to the range with an assortment of ammunition to do some function testing/initial break in. I was not looking to do any accuracy testing at this time, just running an assortment of ammunition thru it to see what it might hiccup on. The ammunition used was Winchester 230gr Silvertips, Winchester White Box 230gr Ball, Winchester White Box 230gr JHP Personal Defense, 200gr Hornady lead SWC over a light load of 231 and Sierra 185gr JHP over 7.5gr of Unique. Weather at the time was 50degrees, sunny, with a light SW wind.

I shot each type of ammunition initially at first and then tried mixing different type in the magazines. I was able to shoot 70 rounds today. There were no FTF, FTE or FTRTB. The slide locked back after the last round was fired each time. The sights seemed to be well regulated for windage, not sure on the elevation yet. I was shooting at an empty 1lb Pyrodex container from about 15 yards. It looked like Swiss chess by the time I was done. As this is not a range/target pistol I was more concerned that it function reliably versus trying to punch the center out of a target.

In summary, this seems to be a very well made compact 1911. There will be more testing to do but with the various types of ammunition used with no problems, I am thus far happy with the results.

I posted this so that anyone looking to purchase one of these would have some more information to digest in order to make a more informed decision.

Hope you enjoy,

Bo
    USAF Retired 1968 -1992
    Last edited by Boh; 31st January 2012 at 17:56. Reason: Spelling

Posts liked by others
    Update:

With the warm temps here in Michigan and the lack of snow on the ground : ),
    I have been able to shoot another 200 rounds thru this gun over the last several days. I am now over 270 rounds fired with zero issues. I have cleaned the gun after each use as I do with all of my firearms. Latest ammunition used was 185gr golden sabers over 7 grains of Unique and 230 gr. Winchester WB ball. I will do some more shooting over this weekend. I am really liking this gun and it is close to being my carry gun. I also just received 2 Tripp Cobra Mags that have proven to bee totally reliable.

Bo
    USAF Retired 1968 -1992

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on your new Sig, Bo. Glad it hear it is performing to your expectations and thanks for posting your reports. We all love pictures as well.

Thank you for your service!

... they will soar on wings like eagles.

Posts liked by others
    Bo,

Thanks for your input. Based on your comments, and others, I just picked up my Sig Ultra Compact - duo-tone. It's all cleaned, lubed and ready for a trip to the range this week. I'll just use Winchester WB 230 ball this time and finish up with a few JHP for giggles.

Didn't realize holsters would be a problem, but I do have a nylon holster that could work. I just need to build some confidence in it before it become my carry gun.

Thanks again...

Posts liked by others
    qcatrader,

You are welcome. I am sure you will like your new Ultra as much as I like mine. For holsters, check with Jay at American Holster Company. Just Google them. They are located in Sanford, MI.

I did some more shooting over this past weekend. Now over 500 rounds. Still no problems. I am enjoying this pistol very much.

Bo
    USAF Retired 1968 -1992