Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Easter
to all those who celebrate it.

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: GSG Tactical .22LR 1911 Review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

GSG Tactical .22LR 1911 Review

Our review of the GSG Tactical model .22 LR 1911 has been posted in the e-zine here

Please use this thread to ask questions and to discuss the review.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Good review, I've had my GSG for maybe a year and a half or so and really like it. Mine is not the Tactical Model. It is by no means a Colt ACE, or Service Model ACE. The Service Model ACE and Colt Conversion Units have the floating chamber. You could buy several GSG 1911 22s for what a 1970s Colt SM ACE sells for.

I found that my GSG is not ammo fussy either and would shoot the lighter 36 gr. bullets just fine. Certainly accurate enough for plinking and informal target shooting.

On mine I removed the magazine safety and installed a flat MSH. If you change the MSH use the GSG mainspring & parts. I also changed out the trigger, with no issues. I noticed that the GSG in the review that the recoil spring guide /rod looks like its plastic, mine is metal.

My Brother and I were out one Saturday goofing off, well maybe we were doing something important, but we passed this gun shop in Jacksonville, FL that we haven't been in. Well you gotta stop right! Well there was this GSG in the case, first one I'd managed to come across. Well it went home with us.

I'm still a bit partial to my Dad's STAR Model F 22, and I miss my Colt ACE (that I should not have sold) but I find the GSG to be a nice firearm considering what they cost.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Great review, I didn't realize that there were ANY 1911-style .22LR pistols or conversions capable of working with regular velocity ammo.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    Great review, I didn't realize that there were ANY 1911-style .22LR pistols or conversions capable of working with regular velocity ammo.

I got a GSG a few weeks ago, first range trip put about 100 cci minimags thru it with no issue, and a few hundred federal lightning/510b from wally world. Got very dirty, started jamming occasionally.

Just for giggles, I ran 25 rounds of Rem sub sonics thru it and had more jams - don't know if it was because of the power level or because of the dirtyness. Also ran some Wolf MT thru it, same experience.

So yeah, they will cycle SV and sub sonics, but reliability may be impacted. Although, the jams didn't seem to be short stroking related... Will try again on next range trip with a clean gun, see if that changes anything.

I had my local dealer order mine yesterday, should be in Fri or Sat. I have a Kimber .45 Ultra Crimson Carry which is their 3" model so this will be a bit larger but still ready for some cheaper 1911 practice. Will update on how it runs soon.