Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRP Question?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

TRP Question?

I ask this here, as the SA TRP's come in both the Operator and the standard TRP models. As you know, the Operator uses a BUll Barrel, with FLGR. The standar TRP uses the traditional barrel and bushing configuration. I'm nor sure whether it uses a FLGR or not.

Which configuration should theoretically be more durable long term?
    Would a Bull barrel face exterior wear that will eventually make it less accurate?
    Would the standard bushing configuration remain more accurate over a longer term, due to the ability to fit a new, tighter bushing?

Can the Operator run properly without the FLGR? Those are just some of the questions that have been going through my head of late. Thanks for the replies! Happy holidays!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Mike
    The standar TRP uses the traditional barrel and bushing configuration. I'm nor sure whether it uses a FLGR or not.
    My standard TRP came with a two piece FLGR which requires an allen wrench to remove. I would put the necessity to have an additional tool to field strip in the hassle category. That said, my TRP has been 100% reliable and one of my carry guns. I'll have to leave your durability question to one of the forum experts.

... they will soar on wings like eagles.

Posts liked by others
    My TRP came with the 2 piece guide rod which didn't stay for long before getting changed out. I like bushing guns, if the bushing does get worn it can be replaced. It's quite a nice gun.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    I thought that might be the case with the FLGR. I wonder if the bull barelled Operator has to have one of could instead use the old standard?

Posts liked by others
    One reason a bull barrel can be more accurate is because there isn't a bushing to loosen and there is more contact area.

My bull barrel TRP has over 3000 rounds through it and is still a top shooter. Some of my bushing barrels have just as many round and are top shooters too.

I think part of the reason bull barrels tend to wear less is because the front of a bull barrel contacts more slide than a bushing can. This is because the cone of the bull barrel pulls completely into the slide until it bottoms whereas a bushing only contacts the front bottom and rear top of the barrel.

I doubt a weekend shoot will ever wear out either design....

I like both.....I like the FLGR in my TRP because I can remove the top of the pistol without removing the barrel like most modern pistols:

Rgsd
    Eric

Posts liked by others
    I may decide I need a bull barrel gun one day. After all, a woman can't have too many nice 1911's.
    My TRP and a couple other 1911's are using a Wilson FLGR that is drilled for a take down pin. No wrench needed for takedown but it does require something for take apart. (right now I use a bent paperclip)
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 21st December 2011 at 19:02.

Posts liked by others
    This is good info. Thanks. This was exactly what I was hoping to learn.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by egumpher
    I think part of the reason bull barrels tend to wear less is because the front of a bull barrel contacts more slide than a bushing can. This is because the cone of the bull barrel pulls completely into the slide until it bottoms whereas a bushing only contacts the front bottom and rear top of the barrel.
    I don't disagree, but I wonder if (as a general rule) factory-made, bull-barreled 1911s are fitted tight enough to achieve this full contact.

Also, some conventional bushing barrels have a thicker section at the front (where they contact the bushing). This, in effect, makes then 'pseudo-cone' barrels, in that a thicker section allows more contact with the bushing (not just front bottom and rear top), but as the barrel moves out of battery and begins to tilt, the thinner main body of the barrel has room inside the bushing to pitch upwards.

Again, this assumes that such a factory-fit barrel is installed tight-enough for this to come into play...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    Also, some conventional bushing barrels have a thicker section at the front (where they contact the bushing). This, in effect, makes then 'pseudo-cone' ..

Hello,

I think that this Fred Kart patent is the closest to a cone fit in a bushing that I have seen.

Rgds
    Eric
    Last edited by egumpher; 23rd December 2011 at 07:11.

Posts liked by others
    Hmm...

My Para P18.9 (9mm doublestack) has the thicker section on the front of the barrel, AND the inside of the bushing has some 'odd steps' in it. I had not given much thought to the bushing itself, but it looks like it might be worth getting some nice macro shots of it...

Thanks for the info, very interesting.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 23rd December 2011 at 07:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast