Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 22lr?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 22lr?

New pistol shooter who wants to put shells downrange other than my new 45. I am looking at the Sig and the Colt 22LR. I saw both but have not seen the Colt Gold Cup.
    Looking for info on both.
    Thanks in advance.

Posts liked by others

Exclamation Decisions-Decisions

FWIW... The Colt Gold Cup is the only one of the 1911-.22's you mentioned that have adjustable target sights. I own 2 of the Gold Cups, along with a GSG, a SIG, 2 Kimber Rimfire Targets, and a Springfield Range Officer with an Original vintage Marvel conversion currently attached. In the past I have owned a Chiappa and a Colt Ace II. (Yes, I'm a pushover for a 1911 in .22!)

I like the adjustable sights on the Gold Cups compared to the other two Colts. I also feel that they are superior to the "Novak" style sights on the GSG and SIG (Twins, by the way...). The Kimbers and the Marvel are also blessed with target sights.

If you are looking for precision shooting, Get the Gold Cup. If you just want to plink around, get whatever you like the looks of. I feel that in order for a gun to shoot it's best, custom regulation of the sights is a must.

That said, another important thing to consider is that all of my 1911's required a trigger job to make them smooth. The Gold Cups were both gritty, had what I considered to be excessive take up and needed 8+ Lbs of pull out of the box. With a trigger job they both are now at about 3 Lbs and with some sight adjustment seem to hit where I point them (sometimes unfortunately).

The GSG/Sig both had good outcomes from the trigger jobs, but neither of them shoot where the sights line up.

The Kimbers are awesome as is the RO/Marvel, but at the price of admission to either of them, they should be.

Ammo wise, the Colts have fed flawlessly with about anything. I tend to shoot mostly CCI Blazer, Winchester Bulk, or Lapua (expensive!). The GSG/SIG like the Blazers, but not much else. The Kimbers like everything except the Winchester Bulk, and the RO/Marvel really prefers the Lapua.

I like them all. However, I like the GSG/Sig the least.....(Miss those sights!)

Posts liked by others
    Have you considered a .22 conversion for your pistol? What .45 do you have? Kimber conversions for 1911s are about $300.
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others
    I really don't want to put a conversion unit on my Wilson CQB elite. From what I have read with a little tune up these 1911 22's will shoot better than my present ability.
    I am leaning toward the Colt Gold Cup and was wondering where is the best place to go for one? I have been to guns america and gun broker but they have very few offered.
    How is the weight of the Kimber compared to the Colt?
    Last edited by JLS; 14th April 2012 at 16:51. Reason: add question

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JLS
    How is the weight of the Kimber compared to the Colt?
    I have shot a friend's Kimber Rimfire, and I have shot both the Colt/Umarex and GSG .22 1911s. The Kimber (the complete pistol, not the conversion kit) is an aluminum slide on an aluminum receiver. It shoots very accurately ... but it feels less realistic than several airsoft 1911s I've played with. It's difficult to even believe you're holding a functional firearm.

I might consider putting a Kimber conversion on a steel receiver (the weight would be about the same as my Ciener conversion on a steel receiver) but I would never consider the complete Kimber Rimfire. I just didn't like it, irrespective of how accurate it can be.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Hawkmoon for your reply and opinion. I have seen all but the Kimber and the Gold Cup. I liked the Sig better than the 2 Colts.
    I want the feel of the 1911.

Posts liked by others
    I found 2 Colt gold cups and both had black sights on them which was a turn off for me at my age. I looked at 4 Colt Govt. with night sights and the Sig and chose the Sig. I shot it tonight and very accurate and 0 malfunctions and cheap to shoot.
    When you can handle 6 guns at the same time it makes it easy to see which one feels the best and has the best trigger.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    I have shot a friend's Kimber Rimfire, and I have shot both the Colt/Umarex and GSG .22 1911s. The Kimber (the complete pistol, not the conversion kit) is an aluminum slide on an aluminum receiver. It shoots very accurately ... but it feels less realistic than several airsoft 1911s I've played with. It's difficult to even believe you're holding a functional firearm.

I might consider putting a Kimber conversion on a steel receiver (the weight would be about the same as my Ciener conversion on a steel receiver) but I would never consider the complete Kimber Rimfire. I just didn't like it, irrespective of how accurate it can be.
    +1. I ended up with an Advantage Arms conversion on my Kimber Eclipse. Love the set-up.

Posts liked by others
    I love my GSG 1911-22