Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laid Away Remington R1 Enhanced

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Laid Away Remington R1 Enhanced

I hope this is in the right place. I'm new to the forum and read all the rules, and intend to follow them to a T, so if I messed up let me know!

I went to the gun shop today intending to lay away a Colt Gold Cup they had last week, but it was already gone. I've been studying on the Remington R1 1911's and really like the looks of them. All the reviews I've seen from owners have been mostly positive. Any negatives were about minor issues. Last night I saw in Combat Handgun Magazine a positive review on the R1 Enhanced. One thing I really liked about it is the adjustable rear sight. I want a 1911 for defense, but I also enjoy shooting for accuracy. I asked the dealer about that pistol in particular and they had one. Now, I'm not all that knowledgeable on 1911's, but it is a tight gun, felt great in my hands, and the trigger was one of the best I've ever squeezed. I figured that if I do decide to do any upgrades to it in the future they would be fewer than there would be with the regular R1, so I laid it away.

I will have it within 30 days, hopefully sooner, and when I do I'll give a rundown on it and post some pictures. I've read all the posts on this site about the R1, but if anyone has any thoughts about this pistol I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    Well, that was probably the shortest layaway in history! I picked my R1 Enhanced today. It started raining as soon as I got home, so i didn't get to shoot it. I didn't notice when I laid it away, but it has a set screw in the trigger. I guess it is to adjust the poundage, but I didn't see anything in the literature about it. Might have just overlooked it. Anyway, I'll give my thoughts on the gun after I shoot it. I think I have to make a few more posts before I can post a picture, but will as soon as I can. I know you all are sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for my report. :lol:

Posts liked by others
    I believe you will enjoy your new firearm very well.if it turns out as good as my std model has. I have had it since August, it is very accurate,and hasn't bobbled once in about 500rds. I believe the set [screw that you] mention is just the trigger over travel adj screw.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on your new pistol. Yes, that screw is only for overtravel adjustment, and there are only two sensible things to do with it, either a) leave it alone, or b) remove it and throw it away!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on your new pistol! And welcome to the forum! And...
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"-- George Orwell
    Last edited by medic7984; 23rd December 2011 at 07:31.

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on the new pistol! I know how you must feel about not being able to shoot it right away. I've been doing this for over 40 years and I still get excited about a new gun. Be prepared, these things have a habit of multiplying.

Be safe
    Dave
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box......but not dull!

Posts liked by others
    Thanks everyone,
    Good to know about the trigger screw. I think I'll leave it alone.

I got to shoot it a little today. I still have some nerve damage in my right arm/hand from heart surgery last fall, and I got all tingly while I shot it. So I quit after 16 shots.

I shot at 10 yards. The first magazine of 8 shots was with Magtech 230 gr. round nose ammo. The group was about 1.5 inches wide but strung out 3 inches vertically.
    The second magazine was Winchester 230 gr. round nose ammo. That group at ten yards was 1.5 inches tall by 2 inches wide, but my last shot went high about an inch, but that was because I broke my rhythm because the slide is locking back on the next to last shot. It did it on both magazines with both types of ammo. The last cartridge is not chambering and is left loose inside the gun. Got any ideas what causes that?

As for the trigger pull, it is okay, but a little higher poundage than I'd like. Funny how big a difference there is when dry firing and actually pulling the trigger on live ammo. Still, it wasn't bad or my groups would have been all over the place.

Over all I like it well enough. And I know that I need to run a lot more ammo through it to break it in. Things might feel and work a lot better after I feed it a bunch. The main thing that concerns me is the last cartridge that isn't cycling right. Is that the gun, the magazine, or the ammo?

Posts liked by others
    I believe the problem may be the extractor tension, there is a sticky in the maint section on testing, and adjusting the extractor. Good luck.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Art1, I sure appreciate the info.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, its in tech issues on home page, on left side menu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast