Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: USPSA gun help needed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

USPSA gun help needed

I have read the rules and think I have a grasp on what I need to start competition but I have a couple questions and want to make sure I am good to go, so any help would be appreciated...

Is there a division which is better for new competitors? Sounds like the "Open" division is usually more experienced shooters with higher end gear, is that correct?

I generally shoot single stack 1911's but all of my full-size 1911's have rails on them and from what I have read, I can not shoot one of my rail guns in the single stack division. Is that correct? Is there any division I can shoot a railed single stack 1911 in?

If I am reading/interpreting the rules right about not being able to use a railed 1911, I have been wanting an excuse to buy a non railed 1911 or even a double stack 1911, like a STI edge, (regardless of competition I plan on making a future purchase) but my concern is does something like the STI double stack gun puts me in the Limited division (I think) and is that a problem being a new competitor? Also I have read .40 cal dominates the Limited Division, is this true and if so why? What caliber would all you experienced competitors recommend? I have lots of 9mm, 40, and 45 ammo, so I'm not worried about price of ammo, its more about what is best for competition?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1
    Is there a division which is better for new competitors?
    Welcome to the sport! It's always great to see a new shooter come in.
    If you're comfortable shooting single stack 1911s, then that's where you should start. A lot of new shooters start in Production, but it requires a DA or safe-action pistola, so no 1911s.
    In your case, you have the pistol for the division already, and I'm betting you have most of the gear. The Single Stack (SS) division requires carry-type equipment, so your carry holster is just what you need. You'll also need mag pouches and at least five extra mags though.

Sounds like the "Open" division is usually more experienced shooters with higher end gear, is that correct?
    Open is the equivalent of top-fuel drag racing. This is where the competitors are not afraid to spend an extra $1000 if it gets them another second.
    Open guns and equipment are much more expensive, and open guns tend to be finicky about operation. Anytime you get something so highly tuned, the chances something will go wrong seem to multiply!

from what I have read, I can not shoot one of my rail guns in the single stack division. Is that correct? Is there any division I can shoot a railed single stack 1911 in?
    Incorrect my friend. Originally the rules stated you could not, but once the SS division rules were ratified railguns are allowed.

my concern is does something like the STI double stack gun puts me in the Limited division (I think) and is that a problem being a new competitor?
    A double stack 1911 puts you in Limited, Limited 10, or Open. Limited and Open are, in my experience, the divisions where most competitors are. It can be a tough place to start, since the high-speed equipment can be intimidating. I definitely recommend starting with what you already have.

I have read .40 cal dominates the Limited Division, is this true and if so why? What caliber would all you experienced competitors recommend?
    .40 is the caliber of choice, but for a very simple reason. 1) It can easily be loaded to make 'Major' power factor, and is still small enough to get several rounds in a mag.

Any more questions, please let us know! I'll be glad to help all I can. Again, welcome!
    Chad D. Cassetty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Level I Range Officer / USPSA
    Soon to be MD for Steel Challenge @ Rockcastle Shooting Center
    http://www.rockcastlesteel.org

Posts liked by others
    There are new competitors in every division but Open (and I'm sure someone will correct me on that, as there surely is someone, somewhere, who bought a $3000 Open gun so they could jump right into the deep end of the pool).
    I see new shooters mostly in Production and Single Stack, as those divisions are best suited to guns that are not made specifically for competition, and so likely to already be owned by people who are new to the sport.
    Regardelss of division, you are competing to become a better shooter, so don't let the presence or absence of other new shooters influence your decision. When I started, there were only two divisions, Open and Limited, and I shot Limited with a single stack .45 and 8-round mags for almost three years. When Limited 10 was introduced, I bought a half-dozen 10-round mags for my .45, and felt very racy.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB
    There are new competitors in every division but Open (and I'm sure someone will correct me on that, as there surely is someone, somewhere, who bought a $3000 Open gun so they could jump right into the deep end of the pool).
    I know more of those than I have fingers... and some of their guns cost way more than $3000!

Categories are 'mostly' about equipment. I'd rather be a half-way decent Glock shooter in Production, than the guy with the $4000 Open 'Monster 4000' that the competent 'Production' Glock guys can actually beat, on a good day. And yes, that happens more often than you'd think!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 26th October 2011 at 13:26.

Posts liked by others
    I remember years ago when a new shooter wanted to shoot Open, because his perception was that was where the cool guys were.

He shot with a 5" single stack 45; he used 10 rounds mags and had a Wilson Combat 'bushing compensator'.

Needless to say he got smoked.
    Chad D. Cassetty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Level I Range Officer / USPSA
    Soon to be MD for Steel Challenge @ Rockcastle Shooting Center
    http://www.rockcastlesteel.org

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it! Since I can run a railed gun in the single stack division, I am just going to start there and see how it goes!

Thanks again for everything!

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it! Since I can run a railed gun in the single stack division, I am just going to start there and see how it goes!

Thanks again for everything!

Welcome to the sport. You should have a great time. Be sure to get to matches early and help setup. That's a great way to learn the ropes.

Also, a point of clarification on the light rail. It is legal in SS division if factory installed and shorter than 3.25". I have seen some that don't pass.

From the appendix of the rule book:
    •Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.