Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt vs. RIA

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Colt vs. RIA

Yeah the subject line is vague and just the sort of thing enthusiasts jump on - which I am counting on.

Here's the deal. I WILL buy a 1911 of some sort this year. It's down to a Colt Anniversary model (either the 70 or the special O1911ANVIII), or a plain-Jane RIA mil-spec.

Yes, two COMPLETELY different guns ... but this is why these are my choices:

I figure I can only buy one this year. I do not own a .45 and EVERYONE needs one, right? I have read great things about the RIA, and it fits my definition of a shooting gun.

... but there's a problem.

There's this whole 100th Anniversary thing and we have the potential to buy one of these anniversary guns ... and if I buy one of these it will be because it's a special model and it will *not* be a shooter. So do the experts here think these Anniversary models will appreciate enough in price to buy one and lay it down in the safe, or should I get me an RIA and go put holes in things?

Again I apologize for the VERY broad range of issues here, but hopefully you folks understand my dillema and can provide some advice.

Posts liked by others
    You asked for it, so you'll get my opinion. You've said that if you buy the Colt you won't shoot it. Your choice, but if you are a shooter you are going to need to buy a 1911 to shoot. Down the road you will never realize the retained value with the RIA versus the Colt. Regardless of if you shoot either one. The Colt will always command a higher price. If it was me, I'd get a Colt with the "100 Years of Service" rollmark and shoot it proudly.

LHS

Posts liked by others
    I, like LHS905, would shoot the pistol. Actually, I don't own anything I will not shoot. Guess I've increased the value of some folks cool collectable guns. None the less, get the Colt. Either way the pistol will be worth more in the future...shoot it or not!

Posts liked by others
    Well actually you both did answer my question, even if I left that part of it unasked.

I'll do a little shopping around, and probably ask a few more specific questions up in the Colt area. Thanks to both of you.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by LBussy
    There's this whole 100th Anniversary thing and we have the potential to buy one of these anniversary guns ... and if I buy one of these it will be because it's a special model and it will *not* be a shooter. So do the experts here think these Anniversary models will appreciate enough in price to buy one and lay it down in the safe, or should I get me an RIA and go put holes in things?
    How much appreciation is "enough"?

Don't expect the anniversary models -- from Colt or from anybody else -- to appreciate significantly, especially not within your lifetime. You appear to have omitted from consideration the most logical choice -- buy the Colt Anniversary model and shoot it. If you don't abuse it, in fifteen or thirty years a fired but well-cared-for example won't be worth significantly less than a NIB example.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    So as a (former) military man I understand what "well cared for" means. What does that mean to a Colt?

I assume trigger work is okay.

New sights?

Beavertail?

While I understand making a "race gun" out of a modern classic will make it worth it only to me ... what can a guy get away with and not ruin it?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by LBussy
    So as a (former) military man I understand what "well cared for" means. What does that mean to a Colt?

I assume trigger work is okay.

New sights?

Beavertail?

While I understand making a "race gun" out of a modern classic will make it worth it only to me ... what can a guy get away with and not ruin it?
    No, no, no ...

"Maintained" does not equal "modified." It means kept cleaned, oiled, and not dragged behind a pickup truck through a rock quarry on a chain.

You asked about the Anniversary model. That's a reproduction of a 1918 M1911, complete with tiny sights and no beavertail. The RIA GI likewise has tiny sights and no beavertail. If you want a 1911 with a beavertail and larger sights, buy a 1911 with a beavertail and larger sights. Colt has several. Rock Island has their Tactical model. Neither is in any way similar to either of the two choices suggested in your initial post.

Respectfully, it doesn't appear to me that you have decided what you want yet, so trying to make a purchase decision is premature.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 6th July 2011 at 15:51.

Posts liked by others
    Consider a Ruger SR1911. Less expensive than the Colt, not much more than the RIA (street price for the SR1911 seems to be 600+/-). It's got good Novak sights, mildly extended safety, beavertail and a decent trigger.

It's not Colt, but like the Colt, it's 100% USA-made. I may be a snob, but I don't buy cheap 1911s...at least, new cheap 1911s*. When the budget is limited, I find a good used Colt.

However, if you are thinking about upgrading the pistol yourself, get the RIA. When you go OOPS! you won't be as unhappy as you would be if you went OOPS! with a new Colt . See the asterisked footnote .

Regards,

Walt
    *Every so often I find a cheap gun on which to practice a new technique or skill—or to turn it (if truth be told, have Drake Oldham turn it) into an instructional cutaway.
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    No, no, no ...

"Maintained" does not equal "modified." It means kept cleaned, oiled, and not dragged behind a pickup truck through a rock quarry on a chain.
    Received and understood.

Respectfully, it doesn't appear to me that you have decided what you want yet, so trying to make a purchase decision is premature.
    Well I know I want a 1911 so that's closer than the guys buying a DA Taurus.

I get what you mean though. This is why I was stuck on RIA (and not worrying about any changes) or the Colt Anniversary - and that because this is the centennial anniversary and my last chance to get one NIB without getting put over a stump.

If SWMBO would cough up a little more funds, easy peasy ... buy both. I just don't see that happening this year. I suppose I could buy the ANVIII this year and keep it stock and maintained, and then buy a modifiable gun next year with a better idea what modifications I might like.

(If I was really going to be honest with you guys I'd fess up to my budget being constrained because I just bought a Sig P238 for a CCW ... but that would be oversharing )

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    Consider a Ruger SR1911. Less expensive than the Colt, not much more than the RIA (street price for the SR1911 seems to be 600+/-). It's got good Novak sights, mildly extended safety, beavertail and a decent trigger.
    Walt, I've never been "inspired" by a Ruger semi. I've had more than a few and they leave me feeling ... meh. I LOVE love love my GP-100 and as a hunting sidearm it's one of the nicest I've had. To my way of thinking if I want to spend more than I'd spend on an RIA, which seem to be pretty well received by all accounts, I might as well spend that little more again and buy a Colt. Admittedly I've never fired an SR1911.

It's not Colt, but like the Colt, it's 100% USA-made. I may be a snob, but I don't buy cheap 1911s...at least, new cheap 1911s*. When the budget is limited, I find a good used Colt.
    Respectfully. I can find a lot of folks who admit to being a snob and not wanting to buy an RIA, but I've found very few who've bought one (or demo'd one) and aften an honest eval can't recommend them. (not intended to be a smart alecky comment at all)

Now if I could find one of those "good used Colts" somewhere I'd go that direction but since joining this forum I've yet to stumble across one.

However, if you are thinking about upgrading the pistol yourself, get the RIA. When you go OOPS! you won't be as unhappy as you would be if you went OOPS! with a new Colt . See the asterisked footnote .
    I've found an excellent smith and I've sworn off trying things myself. A guy can only bring in a box of parts so many times with a straight face.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast