Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Metro arms amigo compared to the colt defender

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Metro arms amigo compared to the colt defender

Having a good experience with my metro arms contender, I was planning on getting a metro arms amigo, I was fortunate enough to try one at the factory, the recoil was comparable to the fullsize 1911, and was small enough to fit in my front pocket. A colt is one of the guns which I also plan to purchase, but to be honest I see no difference in terms of quality, accuracy, reliability, finish between a colt government model compared to my metro arms contender, maybe I am not that experienced enough. I was able to examine a colt defender and metro arms amigo when I went to the Philippine gun show yesterday, I was surprised by the big difference in finish, the metro arms was a lot better. The price difference is very big, the colt defender cost 2,100 dollars compared to the metro arms amigo which cost 695 dollars. Having a stable medical practice I can afford to buy the colt defender, but since it is hard earned money I want to make sure that it is worth it. Do you guys think the quality of the colt defender is worth paying 2,100 dollars?

Posts liked by others
    We still haven't seen any Amigo's here in the U.S. I wish they carried another name, but they didn't ask me my opinion!!

Buck Nekkid
    Buck Nekkid
    That's the way I was born...That's the way I'll die!

Posts liked by others
    I would vote the Defender here, but it may be over there you could better service on something made there.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    dakota1911, i have no experience with the defender, seems like a nice gun, but since you seem to have experience with it, is it worth paying 2,100 dollars?
    Parts might be a problem since colt does not have a distributor in my country, parts for full size 1911 abound, but parts for a 1911 officers might not be readily available.

Posts liked by others
    I have a couple RIAs and they are fine guns. I paid a little over $300 US for the first (bottom) one new and a couple years later a littler over $400 US for the top one. They are all steel guns and worth what I paid for them.

I have a couple Defenders and even over here they are not cheap. The one on the top is a 9mm built in 2010 and it was almost $1K. The older one is a .45 ACP I bought back in 2002. Would have to look up what it cost. I did change the grips on both Defenders.

I order parts through Brownells, Midway, and Colt itself (coltsmfg.com). No problem here, but not sure what it is like over there.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmd98
    Parts might be a problem since colt does not have a distributor in my country, parts for full size 1911 abound, but parts for a 1911 officers might not be readily available.
    Most critical parts are the same between the Officers/Defender frame and the Government frame.

Same:
    Trigger
    Sear
    Disconnector
    Hammer
    Sear Spring
    Slide stop
    Magazine Catch
    Grip Safety
    Thumb Safety
    Extractor
    Ejector
    Barrel Link
    All pins

Different:
    Grips
    Magazine
    Mainspring
    Mainspring housing & internal parts
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 5th August 2011 at 15:16.