Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Short trigger, long trigger

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Short trigger, long trigger

I have never seen an explanation why the switch was made from the long trigger on the 1911 to the short trigger on the 1911A when today most all 1911's use the long trigger.

Posts liked by others
    I believe it was to help shooters with smaller hands to reach the trigger. The switch took place at roughly the same time as when the half-moon scallops were introduced at the rear of the trigger guard, presumably for the same reason.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    in my view the fact most all 1911's these days come with long triggers is a mistake- long fingers can reach either one whereas the long trigger can be a problem for those with small hands. Also better when wearing gloves- it is cold for quite a good part of the year in my parts. the improvements of the a1 were to make it easier to shoot with a large variable in the hand size of miltiary personnel.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    I believe it was to help shooters with smaller hands to reach the trigger. The switch took place at roughly the same time as when the half-moon scallops were introduced at the rear of the trigger guard, presumably for the same reason.
    Spyros is exactly correct.

Part of the reason for long triggers today is the men are bigger than they were in 1911. The long trigger was driven, I think, by the bullseye shooters, for whom precise finger placement is important. With a short trigger, it's easy to overextend the trigger finger, using the joint rather than the pad on the trigger shoe.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    I'm not sure that the idea that long fingers (and big hands) and short triggers can work, is valid. I can certainly reach such a trigger, but I wouldn't enjoy shooting a 1911 all day with one.

Of course, as a procurement decision, for a military force, looking to arm a few million soldiers... it's hard to argue with the logic. The M1911A1 was intended to be a fighting tool, not a range gun.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    if you look at the AMTU manual on pistol shooting (available from the cmp and admittedly focused on Bullseye not combat shooting) it will show your trigger finger should only be touching the trigger and there should be daylight between the rest of your finger and the grip panel for best results. It is very hard for many shooters to do that with a long trigger.

Posts liked by others
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the short trigger introduced in conjunction with the arched mainspring housing? I can handle this configuration (it is what my Series 70 replica has), but a short trigger with a flat MSH seems extremely short, in my opinion.
    NRA Life Member

Colt Series 70 Replica Stainless Government Model
    Colt Black Oxide WWI Replica

Posts liked by others
    I have recently experimented with putting the first joint of my finger in to the rt. side of the trigger and it feels better. Picked the idea up from a Brian Zins article. My hands aren't that big, so I'm going to go for a short trigger.He says the pad is too mushy for proper control.
    "Carry the battle to them.Don't let them bring it to you.Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything"-Harry S. Truman

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by erogers
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the short trigger introduced in conjunction with the arched mainspring housing? I can handle this configuration (it is what my Series 70 replica has), but a short trigger with a flat MSH seems extremely short, in my opinion.
    You are correct, the arched mainspring housing was part of the -A1 change list. The arched mainspring housing slightly rotates the pistol in the shooter's hand, usually bringing the pistol into better vertical alignment with the shooter's hand.

I prefer arched housings combined with a long trigger and my hands are not particularly large, but this configuration is the most comfortable for me.
    There is no problem that can't be made worse with a Dremel!
    I'm not a professional, I'm just trying to not be a "Bubba".

Posts liked by others
    The original 1911 trigger is closer to, or is what is considered a medium length trigger today. The short trigger; the A1 length, I do not care for and the long one; NM length, is too long for me. I bought a brand new Colt and had to change out the long trigger to a medium length.
    The original 1911 length trigger is my favorite style, and with a straight MSH is the best option for me.
    The arched MSH is definately more comfortable with a short trigger than the straight MSH is, IMO.
    I also prefer the 1911 frame type without the scallops cuts behind the trigger. But this is a moot point for sure, mainly aesthetics.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"