Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Steel Frame CCW

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Steel Frame CCW

Do any 1911 manufacturers offer a concealed carry model in the 5 to 7 inch range with a steel frame? I'm not concerned about the carry weight. I prefer a heavier pistol over polymer or aluminum frames and prefer.45 acp's over revolvers.

Posts liked by others
    Wilson Combat has a 7.6" carry that is all steel, the Professional. Not quite in the 5-7" range but close. It is a sweet 1911. I've been drooling over one for a while now. I saw a demo at a local dealer for $2,600 so is on the top end. That is why I am producing more drool than range reports. I am sure it is worth every nickel though.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_pmp.htm
    Last edited by patjo33; 28th April 2011 at 07:56.

Posts liked by others
    I have a five year old W/C Professional model; full size grip frame with a four inch barrel and slide, all steel.

I actually carry my Les Baer Custom Carry Comanche much more. It's an all steel pistol, full size grip frame, 4 1/4" barrel and slide, and it costs @ a grand less than the W/C Professional.

For Baer Custom pistols at very good prices with no wait on many models; call John at "CJ1911Heaven."

Take care,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 28th April 2011 at 09:28.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psu93
    Do any 1911 manufacturers offer a concealed carry model in the 5 to 7 inch range with a steel frame? I'm not concerned about the carry weight. I prefer a heavier pistol over polymer or aluminum frames and prefer.45 acp's over revolvers.
    Not sure I understand the question. Almost every 1911 manufacturer offers a 5" model with steel frame. I also do not understand why you want to carry a 7" barrel 1911 as a CCW.

Maybe I had too much noise from the twins over the day!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Not sure I understand the question. Almost every 1911 manufacturer offers a 5" model with steel frame. I also do not understand why you want to carry a 7" barrel 1911 as a CCW.
    I share John's confusion. A 5" 1911 is considered a "full size" pistol, and anything longer than 5" is a fairly odd variant. The pistols generally regarded as purpose-built for concealed carry are those in the 3-1/2" to 3" barrel lengths.

What could possibly make you consider a 6" or 7" longslide 1911 a "concealed carry" pistol?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I was thinking he was referring to overall gun length rather than barrel length. The WC Professional shows as having overall length of 7.6".
    Last edited by patjo33; 28th April 2011 at 20:41.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your input and I should have clarified that my interest in "5 to 7 inch range" was overall length, and not the barrel length.

Posts liked by others
    I ran across the Magnum Research (Desert Eagle) compact at $799 MSRP that I believe is all steel at a weight of 2.1 pounds empty. I have seen them much cheaper on the auction sites. Gun Broker currently has a couple for $649 and sure you can find them locally for less than the $800. It is a 4.33" barrel but is a bit longer at 7.8".

The DE 1911 is a fairly new product line so there is not a lot of history on them, but the couple of reviews for the full size I have seen are positive. One being on the M1911 E-zine. http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=72

I have been looking at the full size and trying to find the time to go out and check the skin to steel interface. I have a Baby Desert Eagle 9mm and it is heavy as all get out and shoots like a dream. Hardly any recoil at all. I love to shoot it until the old arm gets tired. (That is a literal "old" I'm afraid.)

Here is a link to their home page:
    http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...ctCode=DE1911C
    Last edited by patjo33; 29th April 2011 at 07:12. Reason: Clarification

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by psu93
    Thank you for your input and I should have clarified that my interest in "5 to 7 inch range" was overall length, and not the barrel length.
    Rock Island CS (Compact Size).
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Rock Island CS (Compact Size).
    And also: The Springfield Armory GI Micro Compact 1911 Overall 6.5"
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=14

The Springfield Champion has a 4" barrell with an overall length of 7.5"

Best of Luck!
    Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun