Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt LW Commanders

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt LW Commanders

I am looking into a new gun and have settled on another Colt Commander. I have only ever had steel framed Commanders or Combat Commanders.
    I see a lot more LW models for sale than steel framed models.
    How do the LW models hold up?
    Specifically looking at the XSE, LW XSE, and TALO Wiley Clapp.
    Gun would be used for carry. Not going to be a safe queen.

Posts liked by others
    for "my" personal tastes , the LW is the only way to roll for "carry"
    It may not make a big difference to some, but it dose to "me"

I've heard many conflicting stories on how many rounds alloy frames are good for .
    Ranging anywhere from 5000 to 20,000+ rnds

"I'd" have no concerns if buying new .
    I shoot my carry guns fairly regularly , but not near the volume my range guns see .
    It would be many years before any of my carry guns reached 5000 rnds .
    so it's of little concern to "me"

YMMV

..L.T.A.

Rio Vista Slim Guest

I bought my first Colt Commander sometime in the mid-to-late 1970s. It was an excellent pistol, but since concealed carry in Texas was still many years down the road, the advantages of the lighter weight were a moot point.

My next purchase of a lightweight Colt happened after I joined this forum in 2005.

Colt XSE Lightweight Commander in stainless/nickel-teflon configuration.

This was my first purchase of a Colt product after several years of owning other brands of 1911s. This example did not have the full length guide rod which is seen on newer models of the same pistol. The gun was 100% reliable with any type of factory ammunition I fired through it, and the accuracy was amazing! If the sharp serrations on the front and rear of the slide had not been "chewing up" some rather expensive custom leather holsters, I might still own it.

Since SperlingPE's question is in regard to the longevity of the aluminum-framed Colts, I'll offer my opinion (and a further example) on this subject.

Colt New Agent in .45 ACP.

I have never personally seen a frame failure on an aluminum-framed Colt. Understand, though, that most of the handgun-folks I associate with are very knowledgable, and wouldn't subject their Commanders to thousands of rounds of full-power loads. The aforementioned Commander and XSE Lightweight Commander fired many hundreds of rounds down range with no issues. The New Agent has likewise fired hundreds of rounds with no perceived frame problems.

If one anticipates firing thousands of rounds through their Colt, I would always recommend a steel-framed pistol. But if one's primary goal is a lightweight carry gun, then the rounds fired to establish reliability, and the periodic shooting of aluminum-framed Colts to insure skill and function will have no appreciable effect on that gun's ability to last a lifetime.

Posts liked by others
    It sounds as if the frames would be fine for the intended use.
    Any other issues with the LW Commanders?
    Magazines? Ammo?

Posts liked by others
    It has become conventional wisdom, in the last few years, to not use McCormick mags, or mags with McCormick followers, in alloy-framed guns. I don't know why it wasn't a problem for the twenty years prior, but recently it's become a problem in that the follower can tip forward and peck away at the relatively soft material of the frame. Colt 8-round mags that I've seen have the McCormick follower, so you might want to swap those out.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by RickB; 26th April 2011 at 11:01.

Posts liked by others
    All of the newer LW Commanders come with mags with a skirted follower so there are no issues with feed ramp/frame damage. As far as the LW Commander goes the number of rounds fired is a non-issue; the gun will more than likely outlast you. I have a LW Commander and like the pistol. Issues as I see them with this particular pistol:
    1. the Ambi safety, it does not bother me but some do not like it.
    2. The FCS (front cocking serrations) the LW version does not come dehorned and the FCS & lack of dehorning tends to chew up the inside of holsters. The good news is that after it becomes chewed up to a certain degree it ends and solves that problem. If that bothers you you might want to consider the 1991 version of the Commander which comes dehorned and without FCS.
    3. A little more recoil than the all steel versions due to it's lighter weight.

Pros: Lighter weight for carry, very classy looking pistol, shoots great with 100% reliability. It's a Colt.

Ultimately you will have to weigh this info and make your own choice. They are both great pistols. I plan to also buy a 1991 version and then I will have both. Bob

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

I bought a new Lt. Wt. Commander back about 1980 for carry use. I had been carrying the heavier Govt. Model. Mine was reliable, so I didn't do any throating, etc. I knew I didn't want to cut through the anodizing on the feed ramp. After moderate use, the anodizing on the break over point at the top of the frame ramp wore through, and started causing feedway malfunctions. I was able to throat the barrel slightly to restore reliable function, again, without touching the anodizing on the frame itself. Then the frame cracked in the area where the slide impacts against the frame each time the gun is fired. I stop-drilled the crack and the Commander is still in use with a family member today. I might have had a thousand rounds through my Commander when the frame cracked, but I would be surprised if I had two thousand. I'd probably use a buffer in it if I purchased another new Lt.Wt. Commander. I still consider them to be very good guns, but I think Col. Cooper was right about the Lt.Wt. Commanders...

Posts liked by others
    rock185: Pardon my ignorance but, what did Col. Cooper have to say about Lt. Wt. Commanders? Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    I can't quote Col. Cooper exactly, but he said something like: ...the Lt. Wt. Commander is a gun to be carried a lot and shot a little...

Posts liked by others
    He also said that the Lightweight Commander was the best carry pistol available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast