Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Just picked up an ATI M1911 GI-E Commander (Minor story and review)

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just picked up an ATI M1911 GI-E Commander (Minor story and review)

I was at a local gun store looking over the various 1911 pistols that were in stock and I looked at the Rocks, Colts, Springers, etc.

I looked and beheld a neat little 1911 priced at $435 dollars. I asked if I could see the firearm and checked out the slide text. It said "American Tactical M1911 GI-E" in a very alluring text/font style.

I compared the fit to my buddies Springfield loaded and to my Kimber custom II. I racked the slide, checked the fit and finish and I was overall very impressed with the quality of the gun for this price.

The ATI fit was much tighter at the frame to slide fit near the back by the hammer. I honestly thought I was holding a Custom 1911 at first when I compared it to my Kimber and the buddies Spring. The finish on the gun looks like parkerized over blackened or light black finish. It's what the finish on the Rock Island Armory guns should be. The barrel bushing was a bit tough to take down and out. Seriously, I'm wondering if this is too tight of a fit! This pistol also sported a nice commander ring hammer, a nice commander beavertail grip safety and sights that are raised like Novak and has a white dot front sight. They actually feel pretty decent. The gun sports a Standard GI cap and recoil plug. The mainspring housing feels like steel, but it is standard vertical lines and not checkered with the lpi design. It appears that the ejection port isn't lowered and flared but it hardly seems to matter unless it's something you prefer on your 1911. The barrel is forged stainless steel, if I am not mistaken. (No promise, but the barrel feels good) The internals are probably MIM but they are actually quite strong feeling. The extractor itself felt pretty tough. The magazine included was an ACT Mag 8 rounder that was vastly superior to the stock Kimber magazine I bought with my custom II. This magazine drops bullets in without a problem.

I took the gun home and cleaned out the internals and lubed it up. Went to the range and shot an entire box of Tul Ammo without a hiccup or problem extracting. I tried with 3 different magazines. The stock magazine, a cheap pot metal feeling Kimber magazine, and a Kimber pro tac mag. This thing as far as I can tell is probably the best Commander size 1911 for the money on the market right now. Yes, it's even better than the RIA guns IMO. From what I have read this company uses forged slides and cast frames. In my opinion this may well be the same quality as a Springfield Armory GI champion slide or darn close to it.

I tried to do some dry test extractions with a bullet in the chamber. This gun extracted fine with standard Federal 230 GR but seemed to snag on the Tul Ammo. It wouldn't eject and fly across the room, but rather seemed to drop down the magazine well. The great thing is that when firing the ammo, it extracted and fed perfectly with the cheap Tul Ammo.

The overall product has a nice non-cheap feel to it. I was really impressed because I was looking and comparing it to a Springfield GI Champion and this gun wins hands down. It's also cheaper in price, but not in quality. The only negatives I ran across were the thumb safety which was very hard to engage and disengage. The grips are also quite boring and look like plain dark brown checkered grips. The barrel is also blued or matte black on the front half of the barrel, but is plain shiny stainless on the barrel side where it shows the ejection port. Other than this, I am VERY happy with this purchase and I have no idea why the word hasn't gotten around yet. If you are in the market for a decently priced Commander size 1911 then this gun is for you.

I rate it 8/10. I am rating this based on my understanding of the 1911 pistol and as a lover of the various 1911 pistols on the market. Thanks, and seriously check this company out. Pics probably coming soon.
    Last edited by 1911MN; 25th April 2011 at 13:47.

Posts liked by others
    Is this a 4-1/4" Commander with a conventional barrel bushing, or a 4" "Commander-ish" size and a bushingless, reverse tapered barrel? I've lost track of who makes what these days. Is the ATI the one made by S.A.M.? If so, it should be a true 4-1/4" pistol with a conventional recoil system. To me, that's a good thing.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Is this a 4-1/4" Commander with a conventional barrel bushing, or a 4" "Commander-ish" size and a bushingless, reverse tapered barrel? I've lost track of who makes what these days. Is the ATI the one made by S.A.M.? If so, it should be a true 4-1/4" pistol with a conventional recoil system. To me, that's a good thing.
    It's the 4-1/4" with a barrel bushing made by S.A.M.. It's very original to the Colt Commander from what I can tell. Awesome price and an excellent gun so far. I haven't done grouping tests but I imagine it shoots just as good as the other 1911 commanders that have standard barrels.

Posts liked by others
    I love my ATI GI 1911 it shoots very very well. The only thing I have done to mine is Chang the Factory springs they seemed week. I also added a full size guide rod and new bushing. I would compare my ATI to my Rock Island 1911 here is a PIC of My ATI
    [/URL]

This is a grouping from 15 yards not to bad if you ask me
    [/URL]
    Go ahead pull that smoke wagon and see what it gets you!!!!

Posts liked by others
    ptisd,
    How does the gun shoot with the new full-size rod and new bushing?...
    Any difference in accuracy?...
    My GI is still 'stock' and I'm not sure what changes will effect the shooting/accuracy... right now, it's 'dead-on!!'
    Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Z11
    ptisd,
    How does the gun shoot with the new full-size rod and new bushing?...
    Any difference in accuracy?...
    My GI is still 'stock' and I'm not sure what changes will effect the shooting/accuracy... right now, it's 'dead-on!!'
    Thanks
    The guid rod did and bushing did not chang accuracy that I can tell I think it may have even helped just a little. I did the chang just for the look and told my self if it messed the accuracy up I would go back to the way thing were, but so far so good. The bushing and rod are from fusion firearms, and it did require some fitting . I also changed all the springs because they felt week.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks pt...
    All of your additions have made your gun look real nice!...
    Regarding performance, my GI seems to be doing real well so I don't know
    if I'm gonna start playin' with it yet.
    Again, as you know, for $400 this pistola is a great little shoot!!

Posts liked by others
    Z11 I understand, I had some parts, and bought some parts, and started I don't think at first I was planning on doing all that I did, but the 1911 is a madness that just want stop. This is only my second 1911 but it will not be my last I see a third on the way after the summer.

Posts liked by others
    Yep, I'm close to gettin' a 5"... either another ATI or may try the AMERICAN CLASSIC A1... but definitely another!!

Posts liked by others
    Also look at RIA you cant go wrong with a Rock. I will say hands down my Rock is the best 1911 for the money in my opinion.