Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Colt Euro-Match 45

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt Euro-Match 45

I have a Colt Euro-Match 45. Over the phone the factory told me it is a Gold Cup made in 1989. I have sent for the history but they said it would be three months or so. On the left side is EURO-MATCH AND 45 ACP and a picture of the Colt. On the right it says Colt and 1 of 500. The serial # on this is in the 400s. I would sure appreciate any information on this piece. Thanks. TwoHands

Posts liked by others
    A year or two ago Greg Martin Auctions was offering a large number of one-off and limited production Colt 1911s, including a "Euro Match," serial number EUR500*. S/N EUR445 was recently sold by Bob Simpson. Greg Martin Auctions asserted that the run was of only 500 pistols.

Whether these were intended for European sales (the model concept, not necessarily this run) chambered in .45 HP (Hirtenberger Patrone, 1mm shorter than ACP) is an open question. Many countries in Europe forbid ownership of "military" calibers such as .45 ACP, leading to .243 Winchester S, Inc. M1As, .270 Winchester Garands, and other just a little shorter or smaller in caliber cartridges and chamberings. Thus, .45 HP.

Regards,

Walt

*Boxed Colt Euro-Match Government Model Target Pistol, with Factory Letter

Serial no. EUR500. .45ACP caliber, 5-inch barrel, blued slide with paretial frost finish stainless steel frame. Right side of slidemarked “Colt 1 of 500.” Left side of slide with model designation. Maker and address on right side of frame. Wraparound rubber checkered grips with large C Colt logo inlays. Black hard case with handwritten label at one end of lid. Condition: Fine. Retained by factory as sample and display pistol. This modern firearm cannot be sold to a California resident who does not possess a Federal Firearms License. Estimate: $1,200 / 1,800
    (Sold for $1300 plus buyer's premium)
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides
    Last edited by wjkuleck; 22nd April 2011 at 13:13.

Posts liked by others
    ------Thanks Walt. I will be curious as to how more info the factory has on this gun. TwoHands------

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHands
    ------Thanks Walt. I will be curious as to how more info the factory has on this gun. TwoHands------
    You're welcome. I'd love to get the Colt Model Number for my list, as well as whatever real background you can uncover.

Best regards,

Walt
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14

Posts liked by others

Euro Match

Of course I'll share any new information but it could be a while waiting on Colt. The manual says it's an MK IV/Series 80 Gold Cup National Match. Right handed Pachmayr Grips with the Colt circle insets. The rear sight is fixed and only the right dot is white along with the front sight. Did the paint fall out of the left one? Was it made that way? How is the dot applied to a sight? You tell me. The manual says a 1990 copywrite but like I said earlier the factory says 1989 on the gun. I'll write when I have something new. Thanks Walt. TwoHands

Posts liked by others
    The Colt Euro Match was a special run for the european market (limited to 500 units). Basically is a two tone old style series 80 Gold Cup with pachmayr wrap around grips. Most production was in .45 ACP (a small batch was made in .45 HP for the italian market). In those days (year 1990), the .45 ACP was ilegal for civilian use in Italy. These pistols came inside a light green color cordura bag with manual, safety tag and two stainless steel magazines.

Right now the .45 ACP is legal all across Europe as well as .223 Rem, .30-06 win, .308 win, only Italy and Spain have some stupid regulations on certain military calibers, as listed below:

-. In Italy the 9mm Parabellum (known as 9mm luger in the USA) is still ilegel for civilian use.

-. In Spain the .223 Rem is ilegal for civilian use. The .308 win is legal only in single shot and bolt action rifles, sorry .308 win in semiautos is simply ilegal.

Hope it helps,
    Last edited by javichin1991; 23rd April 2011 at 14:07.

Posts liked by others
    -------Thanks Javichin 1991. TwoHands

Posts liked by others

A little more info on Euro-Match#EUR 445.

Walt. I did finaly get a little more information from the factory. Besides the obvious, this Euro-Match Gold Cup has "Modifications for Target Competition" and "Subject pistol was a sample and display pistol kept by the Colt factory". It was shipped to Greg Martin Auctions Oct 2008. It shoots very nice. Two Hands

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHands
    Walt. I did finaly get a little more information from the factory. Besides the obvious, this Euro-Match Gold Cup has "Modifications for Target Competition" and "Subject pistol was a sample and display pistol kept by the Colt factory". It was shipped to Greg Martin Auctions Oct 2008. It shoots very nice. Two Hands
    Thanks, Two Hands. I actually have the Greg Martin catalog from that auction. Colt sold off a lot of ones-of-a-kind, prototypes, test guns, etc. Alas, I didn't have the $$$ at the time for anything but my late friend Skip Stratton's Super 38 top end.

Bet regards,

Walt
    The M14

Posts liked by others

----Serial Number for Euro-match----

I see I never did give you the number for this Colt Walt. Sorry. It's EUR 445. TwoHands