Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Ranger Museum

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Texas Ranger Museum

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it looked like it would fit here. Today I visited the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas and focused on the collection of 1911's they have there. By no means is this all of them, but these are the ones I chose to put in this slideshow. Some were daily carry and some were "Bar-B-Q" guns. Hope you enjoy...the pictures don't do them justice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Seatex10.../0/QVnwr89cVSY
    Metro Arms American Classic Commander Hard Chrome .45 acp
    Ruger GP-100 6" Stainless .357

Posts liked by others
    You snuck an impostor in there at number 6. That was just to see who was paying attention, right?

Very impressive. I've always known that some Rangers carried 1911s, but I had no idea the number was that extensive. Your video production skills are pretty impressive, too, by the way. Nicely done.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

Red face

OOPs...I snuck that one in on myself. I took a ton of pictures today and put this video together in my hotel room tonight. The tour was a short stop off on my way to our Dallas office today. Good catch and glad you like the video.
    A lot of Rangers to this day are partial to the 1911.

Quote - Someone asked a Ranger why he carried a .45...He responded "Because they don't make a .46

Quote - Someone asked a Ranger once if he knew his pistol was cocked and it looked dangerous. He responded "I wouldn't be carrying the thing if it wasn't".

Posts liked by others
    Number 17 belonged to the Grandfather of one of my best friends and neighbor. The gun belonged to Texas Ranger James Geer and I have held it in my hand, though I have never fired it. The gun was well-used and shows wear from the many years of carry and use.The gun, along with his saddle and other items was recently donated to the museum. I could relate some interesting stories on the history and use of this pistol but they are well-documented in some of the fascinating books on Ranger history. Suffice it to say it was used appropriately in the line of duty.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the video/pics! I'll have to stop at the Ranger Museum on my way east, one of these days.

Posts liked by others
    Here are some additional photos of Ranger Jim Geer's gun that may be of interest. The gun is a 1st year production .38 Super (1929), a caliber that was favored by many Rangers for it's ability to penetrate automobile bodies. The gun has been professionally appraised at $5000. The early Texas Rangers badges were made from a Cinco Peso Mexican silver coin (The one pictured is a 1940's era badge).

Last edited by texagun; 19th April 2011 at 12:29.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent photos Texagun. I like the history on the badge.

Posts liked by others
    I have been lucky enough to visit theTexas Ranger Museum twice. I can't wait to go back again. The museum has a web site www.texasranger.org. They have a web magazine. You can also purchase stuff from the gift shop. I have several biographies of Texas Rangers that I purchased from their gift shop.

Posts liked by others

I thought this said it all.

Posts liked by others
    Awesome thread, folks! Great video, great pics, great story. I love history. And to think I have lived 90 miles from Waco for 25 years and never knew it was there. (I'm so ashamed.)

Easily corrected though: "Hey, honey, don't make any plans for the weekend!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast