Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Colt 1991 Combat Commander Review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    From one new guy to another...Welcome
    Dans rule #1....dont be so thin skinned !!
    Everybody has an opinion, and we all know the rest.
    Sorry for your bad experience, but for me, when I buy something new I hope for the best and expect the worse, and from anything thats mass produced unfortunetly I get alot of the latter. I accept that, and is why I dont like to buy new guns. Then again I'm the kind of guy that needs to customize ANYTHING. I would rather buy a used older model cheap, take it to a good tech, or do it myself and have it made to conform to my standards. But thats just me.

I love the 1911, I've had and still have several. probably because we first got together in boot camp in 1965. It was awful. She was so loose if you shook it it rattled like a box of rocks...but it worked. Carried one in combat, another poor example, but it worked...always. My first civilian 1911 was a Commander in 45acp bought used and promptly taken to Jim Hoag for a re-do, and it worked and looked great.

My point is...the most important thing with a gun is its a machine that works...dont be turned off by your experience. Give it time and you'll learn to love the 1911 too, even with all its flaws. Forget all that black plastic [junk].

I'm looking forward to finding my next Commander in 38super.

Dan

[QUOTE=ChopRod]I expected this type of response from a group of Colt enthusiasts. I certainly didn't join this forum to post this experience, I actually joined many months before buying the Commander in hopes of finding information on places to locate the gun I wanted. I was actually looking forward to making my first post a show-and-tell of my great new stainless Commander.

QUOTE]
    Last edited by Jarhead0311; 4th March 2012 at 04:59.

Posts liked by others
    ChopRod wrote,
    This was not a 1991 model, it was a standard Series 80.
    I believe it actually is a 1991 Series. This is what Colt calls their standard line-up. Here is the Colt website. You appear to have (had) a 1991 Series Commander model #O4091U. I suppose it is possible Colt did erroneously put an arched mainspring housing on the pistol, though.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...991Series.aspx

Posts liked by others
    Yep, that is a 1991 series.

I'll offer my thoughts:

That pistol looks like it has been altered. Typically the level of polish on the receiver and slide match. While I suppose that it is possible that Colt put the wrong MSH on it, I think it unlikely.

The trigger is Aluminum and the Hammer is not MIM unless they have been changed.

I am sorry that you feel you didn't get a warm welcome, and perhaps you didn't.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience.
    I am sorry that you didn't give Colt a chance to make it right.
    I'm sorry you passed the pistol along to be a disappointment to someone else.
    I believe you are doing yourself a disservice by swearing off Colts.

I wish you happiness with what ever manufacturer you choose.

Robert.
    NRA Endowment Life Member.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others

Commander

I read through ChopRod's assessment of the "new" Colt Commander he purchased at a gun show. He should have the right to share his experiences in this forum. My point(s) of disagreement come from where it apprears that he purchased a pistol that has obviously been "customized" by someone with less than pistolsmith skills. His assessment that since his new pistol is filled with flaws, all Colts must be junk. While I have a rather humble Colt 1911 collection, my pistols date from the early '80's to the current XSE series. My 1911 from 1982 is a SS Government model that was purchased new. I sent it off to Wilson Combat for a reliability job. When new and after the Wilson work, when shaken it rattles. BUT, it fires everytime I pull the trigger and will put a magazine of .45 ACP in 2" all day long. I own a couple of Kimbers, which are nicely put together and are accurate and reliable. In 1998, I bought a new Combat Commander and sent it to Wilson for a complete make over. Excellent results. In retrospect, I wish I had done the work on a LW Commander. Over the past couple of years I've picked up 2 LW XSE Commanders; one in .45 ACP and one in .38 Super. The workmanship is excellent, the lockup is solid, the trigger pull is smooth, and they both go "Boom" when the trigger is depressed. Now, can Colt make a lemon? Absolutely, though I haven't owned one. But, I've found in dealing with Colt for 30 years+, they will fix noted problems with their guns; pistols and revolvers. As a side note, I purchased a Kimber Solo and have sent it back to the factory for repairs (slide was showing peening wear in the groves for the lockup lugs - Kimber replaced the slide. The mag release took over 10 lbs of pressure to release a full mag - still a problem). Do I think all Kimber pistols are junk because of my experience with the Solo? No. I think it right to be critical on the problems incurred. But to condem the company over the experience with one gun, is hard to accept.
    "Americans look at the Constitution and Bill of Rights as protectors of our liberties; the Left/Progressives look at them as obstacles to overcome"

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415