Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Loaded" vs. TRP - A Comparison

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

"Loaded" vs. TRP - A Comparison

A couple months ago I sent a note to Springfield asking for a functional comparison between their "Loaded" and TRP models. For the sake of keeping the comparison fair, I tried to pick two similarly looking models: the PX9151L and the PC9107L. Both pistols are of a similar finish and sight configuration, with only some minor physical differences. When I wrote to Springfield, I said I wanted to know what made the TRP over $600 more expensive than a similarly equipped "Loaded" model.

Lately there have been several posts from people asking the same thing, so I felt I would post my findings here as a "Sticky" for future reference.

Here is what I was told by Springfield:

PX9151L "Loaded" 1911
    MSRP: $876.00
    Accuracy: 3.5-inch groups or better at 25 yards
    Springfield Integral Locking System
    Loaded Chamber Indicator
    Forged Frame & Slide
    Carry Bevel Treatment
    Lifetime Warranty
    Novak Patented Low Mount Sights
    Dovetail Front Sight
    High-Hand Beavertail Grip Safety
    Ambidextrous Extended Thumb Safety
    Adjustable Lightweight Speed Trigger
    Flat Serrated Main Spring Housing
    Fully Supported (Ramped Barrel)
    Torx Head Grip Screws
    Cocobolo Grips
    Delta Lightweight Hammer
    Full Length Solid Recoil Spring Guide
    Beveled Magazine Well
    Lowered and Flared Ejection Port
    Double Serrated Slide
    Lockable Blue Plastic Case
    2 Magazines
    Loaded Accessory Coupon

PC9107L TRP 1911
    MSRP: $1560.00
    Accuracy: 2.5-inch groups or better at 25 yards*
    Springfield Integral Locking System
    Loaded Chamber Indicator
    Forged Frame & Slide
    Carry Bevel Treatment
    Lifetime Warranty
    Novak Patented Low Mount Tritium Sights*
    Tritium Dovetail Front Sight*
    High-Hand Beavertail Grip Safety
    Ambidextrous Extended Thumb Safety
    Adjustable Lightweight Speed Trigger
    Combat Trigger Job (4.5-5lb crisp pull)*
    Checkered Flat Mainspring Housing*
    Stainless Steel Match Barrel and Bushing*
    Polished Feed Ramp*
    Throated Barrel*
    Torx Head Grip Screws
    Cocobolo Grips
    Delta Lightweight Hammer
    Full Length Solid Recoil Spring Guide
    Springfield Armory Wide-Mouth Funneled Magazine Well*
    Lowered and Flared Ejection Port
    Machine Checkered Front Strap*
    Double Serrated Slide
    Lockable Blue Plastic Case
    2 Magazines
    Loaded Accessory Coupon

* items unique or improved over the "Loaded" models

I was told that these is more hand fitting applied to the TRP model than the "Loaded", and the increased accuracy of the TRP is due to the improved slide-to-frame fit, as well as the better barrel and bushing. The extra care also accounts for the better fit and finish of the TRP handguns.

Hopefully this will help answer questions about the differences between the "Loaded" and TRP models, and I hope that owners of both models can add their first-hand impressions to this thread.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!
    Likes (1) :
    FollowJesus (19th July 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Here are images from Springfield's web site showing the two pistols side-by-side.

"Loaded" PX9151L

TRP PC9107L:
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Springfield has their own specs wrong;

Loaded,
    No ramped barrel on steel versions..........has ramped barrel on LW models.
    Does have Novak night sights, front & rear.
    Does have throated barrel.
    Last 2 Loadeds I checked had 4 1/2lb triggers, stock from the factory.
    Has polished feed ramp.
    Has fitted bushing to the barrel with .001-.0015" clearance

The night sites are not on older model Loadeds, but are on every Loaded I've seen made in the last year or so.

I think the trigger pull weight will be a **** shoot, but everything but the night sites has been on every Loaded I've seen..........old & new alike.

If folks have Loadeds, speak up.........what does yours have on them, and how old are they?
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wichaka
    Springfield has their own specs wrong;
    Wichaka, I knew (and hoped) you would chime in on this, as I knew you had differing opinions with Springfield over their pistols. This is a time I wish we had someone from Springfield on this board to correct or clarify the "official" word. Thanks, mi amigo!

Quote Originally Posted by wichaka
    If folks have Loadeds, speak up.........what does yours have on them, and how old are they?
    Same for all your TRP owners - if you've got something that differs from what Springfield has told me, let us know.

As a consensus forms regarding each pistol, I'll edit the original post so it is kept up-to-date.

Posts liked by others
    Like I said........I aint knocking Springfield, as I own a few of them.

Its just that from what I've seen, I just can't quite justify the cost.
    Maybe because I come from being a Colt 1911 armorer, that my opinion differs from others..........not sure. Probably because I could take a Loaded and make a TRP out of it, for less cost than buying one outright.

But from what I've seem come across the bench being box stock, it differs a bit from their site info.

I've shot quite a few TRP's and they are good, they shoot really well. Had a few that had some minor fit problems..........but they will drive nails.

Have had Loadeds do the same thing.

If the price wasn't so far from the Loaded, I'd say grab a TRP.
    Is it worth 400 more? Yes, I would go with that..........
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    I just sold my parkerized loaded to buy an armory koted TRP. The TRP is hands down a much finer weapon...not even in the same category (at least with my samples of each gun). The loaded had lots of slide play both vertically and horizontally. The TRP I have has ZERO slide play. Also, the trigger on the loaded was terrible. It had lots of movement vertically and could be wiggled side to side as well. It was a heavy and gritty trigger. My TRP on the other hand has the best trigger I've ever felt. It is super smooth and well fitted and is very crisp. I don't have a pull guage but I'd say it's around 4 to 4 1/2 #. One other difference that wasn't mentioned (at least that I remember seeing) is the fact that the loaded has a two piece barrel and the TRP has a one piece barrel (reportedly made by Storm Lake...I haven't seen this officially confirmed though). The front strap is checkered on the TRP and isn't on the loaded. I haven't been able to shoot my TRP yet but I can tell you that I never had one single jam with my loaded. I feel pretty confident that I'll have the same reliability with my TRP.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    And again, that improved slide-to-frame fitting is something the TRP has than, according to Springfield, the Loaded models do not, so that would explain what you've felt Vader with your Loaded and TRP models.

And what do you mean you haven't shot it yet? Whatcha waitin' for? Christmas?
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Seems like Christmas will be here before I'm able to shoot it! I JUST moved to this part of the world and am desperately searching for a range. Where I lived before, the local Sheriff's Office range was about 4 miles from the house and was open to the public 24/7 as long as they weren't training there. No such luck here. Some nice folks on another forum have given me some help in this area though...now I just have to find time. My work schedule is kinda hectic.

As an aside, I'd gladly pay the price for my TRP all over again. I love it that much. My only gripe is that on my loaded the ejector was pinned. It isn't on my TRP. I'll worry about it when it actually loosens up. Not until then though.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader

Posts liked by others
    I have not shot a TRP, or even seen one up close for that matter. My Micro is the 'loaded' version and it is a very tight gun. The trigger is nice and crisp, the slide to frame mating, even on my lightweight version is excellent. I have a very slight amount of play after 500+ rnds through it. The night sights were included. The Micro's barrel is ramped due to the aluminum frame. I have added alumagrips as I like the idea them and they look great. The fact that the micro comes with the slimline grips stock was nice as I don't have gigantor hands. Shoots like a dream. My local indoor range only goes to 50ft - but I can attest that it is exceedingly accurate and well made. When you think about a 3" 1911, you may cringe initially, but I have no trouble firing off-hand one handed. Overall a sweet gun. I would love to get my hands on a TRP and compare - or even an operator for that matter........
    Jim
    US Navy - 21 years and running.........
    SA Micro Compact - Loaded
    RIA 5" 1911 (modified to be a tack-driver)
    GSG 1911 22

Posts liked by others
    The Operator Models they have a Loaded version and a TRP version. Is the only addition to the Loaded part#PX9105ML just the light rail? Or does it have any other options with it?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast