Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the art of grip making..a tutorial w/pics

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I really wish I had wood working knowledge and the tools to try this. Kinda hard as a 17 year old :P

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Gents.

i enjoy making them, and I like to share

Quote Originally Posted by shadow93
    I really wish I had wood working knowledge and the tools to try this. Kinda hard as a 17 year old :P
    save your lunch money, Kid
    for about a $150 (maybe $100 if you catch the sales and use the e-mail coupons) you can buy enough tools at Harbor Freight to become a grip making GAWD...

here's some new ones.
    a couple spalts from the same stump the tutorial grips came from.

With and w/o Walnut border
    and a buckeye burl w/walnut border

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    I have the money I'm just stingy on how I spend what I earn :P

Posts liked by others
    Great thread!!

After tracing and starting into a pair of grips for one of my (ahem) Ruger New Model revolvers (I have a couple of them), I came across this thread. I'll try my rail gun stocks as received, but I'm sure this summer I'll make some customs!

So - thanks mate!!

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for a great post and very timely as I've been contemplating the urge to make a few pair- the Buckeye burl is stunning-

I keep walking by a spalted piece of maple in the woods while walking the dogs-I'm inspired I need to cut up some blanks- the CA Titebond was a really good info bit for stabilizing-thankyou. -I realize it needs to "dry"

While I was just checking my OEM grips on the gun I did a quick measure and came up with about 3 1/16 center to center but when I reread your post I saw you said 3.72 +/- .005 did you mean 3.072? As 3 1/16 is 3.0625?

I always learn better with a picture tutorial- what were the other blanks in the picture being made for? Sigs?
    Last edited by TappinZZ; 7th March 2011 at 05:31.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TappinZZ
    did you mean 3.072? As 3 1/16 is 3.0625?
    I did indeed mean that, Tappen
    It's 3.072

I'll go back and edit it.
    Glad you caught it... THANK YOU!!

edit...uh oh, i can't edit it...

if one of the mods see this, maybe they could fix it.
    It's very early in the post

..L.T.A.
    Last edited by Cap; 7th March 2011 at 22:40.

Posts liked by others
    Cap-Great so it's a titmouse more than 3 1/16" C to C--that's a great thing to know. Is the buckeye burl you have really got a blue-grey cast to it as much as the photos show? It is an amazing bit of nature.

I have some Wenge with some pretty nice swirl-a bit unusual for this wood and want to make a pair or two for my Pro Raptor- I was thinking ebony but I bet its to brittle- Wenge is a brick-s-h as far a strenght but it does have a bit of movement-I also have some Walnut from a tree in my yard with some nice variation-I actually saw it when I was band sawing firewood!--I didn't know what I could make but thought about knife blanks now that I'm addicted to 1911's I know what it was meant for. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have 220 wired in my new shop-still looking for a good electrician-

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TappinZZ
    Is the buckeye burl you have really got a blue-grey cast to it as much as the photos show? It is an amazing bit of nature.
    yes.
    I do the best i can to take pics that show just as to the eye

some has a green hue to it too.
    along with reds, yellow/gold, pale yellow and grays

check out the color on these Buckeye's

They came from the same 1 1/4" thick block
    There was quite a difference of vibrant color lose from one set to the other.
    3/4" off the block and color changed a fair amount

This next set (top middle ) was by far the most brilliant color "pop" of any buckeye I worked to date

The red is a ruby acrylic filling a large void

I got two sets out that block too.
    Bit the brilliant gold color was gone on the second set

..L.T.A.
    Last edited by Cap; 8th March 2011 at 23:10.

Posts liked by others
    Beautiful wood and work Cap- I never get tired of that miraculous material.

Posts liked by others
    Cap - great write up.

I've been wanting to try making a set of grips for some time....and now of course I'll have to wait longer as we are packing up the house.
    Once I can get the 'workshop' up and running I'm going to give them a shot.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to practice on some 'scrap' wood first as I only have some basic woodworking skills.

Have you ever tried briar for grips? I have carved a few pipes over the past few years out of briar and love the look and feel of it, would want to try a set with that. (the pipes were not nearly show quality - more of a fun project)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast