Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Least Expensive - Most Reliable 1911 mag ???

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Least Expensive - Most Reliable 1911 mag ???

What is the least expensive and most reliable mag for a 45 ACP 1911 ??? Would you use 7 or 8 rounders ? I shoot 230 grain FMJ only. Thanks.............
    Last edited by 1911mike; 9th January 2011 at 11:08.

Posts liked by others
    I own several starting with ACT, CMC, MecGar, KimPro, ProMag and WC with a few not even marked as to maker. They all work fine in my 1911s some are 6, 7 and 8 rounders. I have not tried anything larger than 8 rounds. To be honest most I bought are used.
    Joe

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911mike
    What is the least expensive and most reliable mag for a 45 ACP 1911 ??? .
    probably as many opinions as there are mag manufactures, Mike

and I don't know if there is such a thing as any "one" brand inexpensive mag that's "most" reliable in "every" 1911

I can tell you my experience with the cheap gun show mags ($6 to $9 ea) has been most unfavorable ..weak springs and spread feed lips was my experience with the three I bought.

The counterfeit "Colt" mags I have ( came with used pistols I've bought) have been less than perfect too
    They have "Colt" stamped on the bottom, but no pony logo..the follower is also round ...not a flat deval (sp?) or GI dimpled follower

Here's what I'd suggest before you buy a bunch of any one particular mag
    (cheap OR expensive)
    Just buy one or maybe two and see if they run reliably in "your" pistol

..L.T.A.
    Last edited by Cap; 9th January 2011 at 11:58.

Posts liked by others
    +1 for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap
    . . .I don't know if there is such a thing as any "one" brand inexpensive mag that's "most" reliable in "every" 1911
    ...and I'll go one step further: I don't know if there is such a thing as any "one" brand EXpensive mag that's "most" reliable in "every" 1911!

Cheers
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    I put 100 rds through a couple of the $5.95 7 rd magazines I bought from Sarco yesterday and they worked perfectly for use at the range. I plan on buying more.

JG

Posts liked by others

Inexpensive?

I'm not sure if the ACT-Mag can be classified as "inexpensive" but I found a very good on-line source at approximately $17 and a bit more depending on finish. This is the "black" mag supplied with Night Hawks and produced for other "name brand" suppliers.

Posts liked by others
    Your question has no answer.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=89543
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    This would depend on your defination of Inexpensive.
    NONE of the "so-called" special or "budget priced" mags frome the "real deal" mail orders houses were worth it.

I only buy name brand magazines from a reliable source.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    I live by the saying cheap, fast or reliable: pick two. If you want cheap and reliable you are going to have to heed everybodys advice and take a while testing with different mags. Then shop for used/sales or other deals.

Good Luck

Posts liked by others

I started shooting 1911's in the 1970's, and I use ONLY

the USGI or Colt mags-standard, 7 rounds. SARCO, Inc., CDNN Sports and many other online places sell them. I have NEVER had one fail to work properly, and I can't say that about some expensive aftermarket mags I have tried.
    I also have a Compact 1911 that uses 6 round mags-I use only Mecgars, again with no problems.

ADDED: Both my 1911's are made by ARMSCOR.

mark
    Last edited by dogngun; 14th January 2011 at 06:15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast