Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: Springfield TRP vs Kimber Warrior

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield TRP

19 82.61%
  • Kimber Warrior

4 17.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield TRP vs Kimber Warrior

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Springfield TRP vs Kimber Warrior

Hey, this is my first post here at m1911.org

Im considering either Springfield TRP or a Kimber Warrior, (or desert warrior).
    What do you guys think, also, if anyone has shot both, please tell me your impressions??

Posts liked by others
    welp, since no one with "real owner" experience of both has touched this yet, guess i will.

I tuned and shot a Warrior this summer.
    It belongs to an LEO friend of mine.
    He was having failure to return to battery issues, but worse, he got caught in a down pour with it on..... the pistol got soaked and he put it away wet without wiping it down

months and months latter when he took it out of the safe there was rust and minor pitting on the (edit italicized ) NON stainless barrel .

after i told him what a KNUCKLEHEAD he was for doing that....
    I told him I'd take it home and see what I could do to straighten out his lack of proper care

i detail stripped, inspected and cleaned the rust off.
    The ext'r was tight as a drum, so I tuned that as well as gave it a fluff 'n buff

It was 100% reliable then with the 100rnds of duty ammo he brought over

In my NON expert opinion the pistol was very well fit and finished .
    trigger was good and the pistol was accurate and reliable after the tune up
    ( it would of likely worked it's self out after 300-500 hundred rnds regardless)

the Warrior was a 70 series..I liked that it didn't have the Swartz firing pin safety system.
    I thought it was very nice pistol
    .................................................. ............................

I have no experience with the TRP other than the used one I was considering buying .
    The front strap has very aggressive checkering (that was reason the guy said he was selling it..too aggressive for a "fun" range gun)

But I like Springfields in general and have little doubt the TRP is a fine, fine pistol.
    Springer also has an excellent reputation for custy service and they pay shipping both ways if warranty work is needed.

if "I" was deciding between the two, "I'd" more than likely buy the Springer.
    But that's because I'm a "Springer guy" and influenced by my own bias/preferences/perceptions

However, you'll never hear me say anything bad about the Kimber Warrior (at least based on the example I had) ..cause the one I had for that week was darn fine pistol

..L.T.A.
    Last edited by Cap; 21st December 2010 at 10:05.

Posts liked by others

Thanks cap

Very helpful, still researching now, but leaning toward the Kimber

Posts liked by others
    well if it's me I'd lean the other way.

shot 'em both liked the TRP better, but that's me.
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman
    well if it's me I'd lean the other way.

shot 'em both liked the TRP better, but that's me.

yeah, im leaning toward the TRP im gonna call SA today to ask some questions....

Posts liked by others
    update..a friend just PM'ed me.
    (Thank you)

the barrel on the Warrior is NOT stainless.
    I just assumed that cause it was "silver" ..no finish of any kind

Why would they NOT finish or add "some kind" of rust/corrosion to a barrel??

are there other manufactures that do it that way????

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    do not have any exp shooting a springfield. But, I prefer to buy american made any chance I get.

You asked for opinion, so there it is.

Posts liked by others
    I presently own and carry a stainless TRP and LOVE the gun. I previously owned, but refused to carry a Desert Warrior. I had both guns concurrently so I can compare both.

What I liked about the Desert warrior was the clean, crisp trigger pull and lack of Series II Swartz safety. That's about where the likes ended. The gun would feed reliably for the most part, though it did have some hiccups every once in a while in the fashion of feeding failures. I REAlly didn't like the combination of Mr. Nutterbutter grips, Kim Pro II finish and melt treatment, all of which when combined make the gun feel like a motor oil slathered smooth round doorknob. I added Strider Gunner Grips and that helped a little, it would really behoove Kimber to add some frontstrap checkering to the gun to aid in firm grip.

My Desert Warrior had a pretty sloppy slide to frame fit...actually the loosest 1911 I have ever owned, but the barrel to bushing fit was good and the gun had nice solid lockup, so accuracy wasn't really affected at all. Let's just say it was moderately annoying to have the gun rattle like a bucket of loose bolts when shaken. I also don't like the type of ambidexterous safety used by Kimber...it just doesn't seem as solid as the Swenson type safeties found on Springfield and Colt ambi equipped guns.

As for the TRP, in the plus side, it has super aggressive front strap checkering, the slide to frame fit is tight, the barrel to bushing fit is tight and the gun locks up like a bank vault. The trigger is clean and crisp and the gun eats anything I put through it without fail. I've had some magazine related issues, but the problems I had manifested across all of my 1911s when using the mags in question. I like the extended magwell on the TRP as it greatly aids in quick reloads notwithstanding its adding a little length to the bottom of the grip. The gun is more accurate than I am and the gun is just dead on reliable except for the mag related issues I had with the Novak mags I was using for a while.

As for things I'm not particularly fond of with my TRP, the dots and outlines on the factory installed Novak branded night sights on my TRP are smaller and slightly tougher to pick up than the hugantic tritium dots and bold white outlines on the Kimber's Meprolight sights, the slide stop is a little tough to get past the plunger, and the frontstrap checkering will catch on some cover garmets (and cause tearing if you're not careful). I'm also not a huge fan of the 2-piece FLGR on the Springfield and that part was promptly swapped out for a standard GI type assembly. The Trox head grip screws are also a slight pain, but nothing that I can't deal with.

All in all, the dislikes with the TRP are really nit picky little things. In my book, the TRP wins the contest hands down.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mwink822
    I presently own and carry a stainless TRP and LOVE the gun. I previously owned, but refused to carry a Desert Warrior. I had both guns concurrently so I can compare both.

What I liked about the Desert warrior was the clean, crisp trigger pull and lack of Series II Swartz safety. That's about where the likes ended. The gun would feed reliably for the most part, though it did have some hiccups every once in a while in the fashion of feeding failures. I REAlly didn't like the combination of Mr. Nutterbutter grips, Kim Pro II finish and melt treatment, all of which when combined make the gun feel like a motor oil slathered smooth round doorknob. I added Strider Gunner Grips and that helped a little, it would really behoove Kimber to add some frontstrap checkering to the gun to aid in firm grip.

My Desert Warrior had a pretty sloppy slide to frame fit...actually the loosest 1911 I have ever owned, but the barrel to bushing fit was good and the gun had nice solid lockup, so accuracy wasn't really affected at all. Let's just say it was moderately annoying to have the gun rattle like a bucket of loose bolts when shaken. I also don't like the type of ambidexterous safety used by Kimber...it just doesn't seem as solid as the Swenson type safeties found on Springfield and Colt ambi equipped guns.

As for the TRP, in the plus side, it has super aggressive front strap checkering, the slide to frame fit is tight, the barrel to bushing fit is tight and the gun locks up like a bank vault. The trigger is clean and crisp and the gun eats anything I put through it without fail. I've had some magazine related issues, but the problems I had manifested across all of my 1911s when using the mags in question. I like the extended magwell on the TRP as it greatly aids in quick reloads notwithstanding its adding a little length to the bottom of the grip. The gun is more accurate than I am and the gun is just dead on reliable except for the mag related issues I had with the Novak mags I was using for a while.

As for things I'm not particularly fond of with my TRP, the dots and outlines on the factory installed Novak branded night sights on my TRP are smaller and slightly tougher to pick up than the hugantic tritium dots and bold white outlines on the Kimber's Meprolight sights, the slide stop is a little tough to get past the plunger, and the frontstrap checkering will catch on some cover garmets (and cause tearing if you're not careful). I'm also not a huge fan of the 2-piece FLGR on the Springfield and that part was promptly swapped out for a standard GI type assembly. The Trox head grip screws are also a slight pain, but nothing that I can't deal with.

All in all, the dislikes with the TRP are really nit picky little things. In my book, the TRP wins the contest hands down.
    thanks man, that really helped a lot, also, interesting about the sloppyness of the kimber!
    I've heard Kimber horror stories but as for Springfield, i've heard nothing but greatness!
    Thanks a lot

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tristan
    thanks man, that really helped a lot, also, interesting about the sloppyness of the kimber!
    I've heard Kimber horror stories but as for Springfield, i've heard nothing but greatness!
    Thanks a lot
    Glad to be of help. I have had some little issues with some of my Springfields, but they were very helpful in getting the gun to 100% and therefore Springfield will stay on my short list of great companies.

As for the loose slide to frame fit on my Desert Warrior, I'd venture to say that was the exception rather than the rule. At present, I have two other Kimbers, an Eclipse Target II and a Custom Royal, both of which have exceptionally tight slide to frame fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast