Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kimber feed ramp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

kimber feed ramp

New to thinking about Kimbers and have a question regarding "feed ramps". Is the "feed ramp" on a Kimber Pro Carry ll and the Ultra Carry ll on the frame or on the barrel ?

Posts liked by others
    The Kimber Ultra Carry II has a ramped, fully supported barrel, the Pro Carry has the ramp in the frame. Since both have aluminum frames, some feel that the supported barrel is better. Others would rather have it as John Moses wanted it. I have both and am happy with both.

Posts liked by others
    I have the P C II and I'm glad it has the ramped frame. Never had any luck with ramped Barrels, most tend to be too steep.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Waits
    I have the P C II and I'm glad it has the ramped frame. Never had any luck with ramped Barrels, most tend to be too steep.
    Does anyone have similar or opposing opinions? I am trying to make up my mind between Ultra Carry ll and Pro carry ll. On one side I am hearing "ramp wear" on the aluminium frame of the Pro Carry ll and now "feed problems" on the ramped barrels.

Posts liked by others
    Don, I've got 1600 through the spout on mine, no wear problems yet, all FMJ and JHPs.
    One caveat. Do not use split-follower magazines in it. The slide-release shelf slams forward after the last round and could gouge a rut in the frame.
    Simple cure; Use mags with Skirted Followers.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Waits
    Do not use split-follower magazines in it... Use mags with Skirted Followers.
    Yup, this eliminates the whole 'ramp wear' issue. It's caused by magazine followers 'pretending' to be cartridges, and trying to go up the ramp. As long as you stick with magazine designs that can't possibly do this (and there's plenty of options for those), you're fine.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Don,

I have a PRO TAC II, alloy frame, frame mounted feed ramp and the dreaded External extractor. And after roughly 2 thousand rounds I can detect no appreciable wear.

And because it is an aluminum frame I watch it carefully.

Consider this. If you like a particular pistol and it has a frame mounted feed ramp, and you want it, then buy it! If you can actually shoot enough rounds through it to wear out the feed ramp, worry about it THEN!.

At that point you can elect to trash it and buy a new one, fit a new frame up, have a ramped barrel installed or last option, have a feed ramp insert
    "epoxy ed" into the frame, as the old one would be milled out.

But at this time, just shoot it and enjoy!
    " Use 'em Like they're free!"

Posts liked by others
    i have roughly 1000 through my Pro carry II and have only noticed the anodization coming off a little. no gouges...from what i have read, 7075 aluminum is hard enough not to worry

my other gun is a para p12 with a ramped barrel, and i dont have problems with it either
    Last edited by cmh2007; 24th November 2010 at 20:49.

Posts liked by others

feed ramp

thanks to all who answered this thread. Based on this info i have ordered a Pro Carry from BUD'S Guns I should have it in my hands by mid week.

Posts liked by others
    Don, I love my Crimson Trace Pro Carry. You should be more than happy with your new Kimber. Just load it up and fire away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast