Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Finish on Duracoat and matte nickel

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Finish on Duracoat and matte nickel

I have heard good feedback on the durability of the park finish on the tacticals. What do you owners of the duracoat and matte nickel models feel about the quality of the finish and durability. Just curious because I was thinking of buying one of those too. Thanks!

I'm probably going to get myself in trouble, but IMHO, I don't think the Duracoat brings anything worthwhile to the table. Have 2 tac's, one in Duracoat and one in Park. I think the park is holding up better than the Duracoat. I too have a hankering for a matte nickel tac to round out the corral. However, years ago I had a nickel Colt 1911 and while it was chrome (shiny chrome), it still scratched, but was hard to see them. My fear with the matte nickel chrome is, even with caution, I might scratch it, and on matte, I think it would be pretty noticeable. Sure wish RIA would make a Stainless model!

Anyone else have any input?

I have a Matte Nickel FS and a parkerized CS.

I love them both, the FS is beautiful and does not scratch as easy as you might think. I am not extra careful with it, it is a range gun. I slide it into my range bag with my other guns and it shows no wear. Had it about 7 months and go to the range every Tuesday. Sometimes Saturdays, too! My father and I love the .45 and 1911 platform. He has the two-tone FS and has no finish issues, either.

However, having said that, our LGS got a FS Matte Nickel in that she sent back just because of blemishes in the finish. Just like everything else, some are bound to get through. A heads up shopkeeper will not let you see one that is sub-par, though. That does take some effort on their part to inspect everything that comes in, but it makes fora loyal customer base, too.

SteelMan,

That is good feedback, and I am probably buying online, but it is good to know I have strong customer service to back it up if I happen to have an unlikely issue. I still am having trouble making up my mine. It doesn't seem crystal clear which finish is the most durable. I am most concerned about corrosion resistance.

For corrosion resistance, go with the Matte Nickel.

Just remember, the lifetime warranty covers the finish, too! (not wear, but manufacturing defects).