Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sudden feeding problems Citadel Compact

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sudden feeding problems Citadel Compact

Happy Friday,

I will try and keep this as short as possible and still share my problem accurately. Forgive me if it is too vague.

I have had a Citadel Compact 1911 for several months now and have put 850 rounds through it, both FMJ and JHP, without any problems. Seriously not one single problem feeding, firing or ejecting. Very happy with the gun. The only thing I have had done to the weapon was to have the front sight replaced.

I took it out this morning and began to experience some failures to feed. The casing of the fired round would eject from the weapon but the round feeding from the magazine would not successfully come into battery. I hope that is the correct technical terminology. This happened approx. 12-15 times out of the 50 rounds I fired. It happened with all 5 of the magazines I have for this weapon and it occurred with both FMJ and JHP rounds. There seemed to be no pattern of it happening as far as how far into the magazine load, meaning first few rounds or the last few. I also had a few rounds fail to go into battery when loading a full magazine into an empty weapon.

I am curious if anyone has experienced something like this simply starting to happen without any prior problems. As I said before I have had no issues with the weapon and have not changed anything as far as equipment goes. Oh and the gun was clean when I began shooting and it was stripped down and cleaned while in the field with no improvement.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I am hoping some of the regulars in the RIA forum will see this and perhaps have some thoughts.

Take care and shoot well.

Cheers,
    Last edited by irishbull44; 1st October 2010 at 17:32.

Posts liked by others
    As a recent Citadel Compact owner, I'm interested to see the cause of this myself. Like you I haven't experienced a single FTF or FTE so far.
    I was wondering if the round that is jamming up is being fed into the barrel, but not closing on the round or is it jamming on the ramp?
    Don

Posts liked by others
    Halito, all. Irish, if the round being fed is just stopping short of going fully into battery my first thought would be a weak recoil spring. I know that 750 rounds or so doesn't seem like much, but then again, did you buy it new or used? Short-barreled 1911 pieces seem to need recoil spring replacement sooner than full-sized models. Another thing is to check extractor tension and whether the extractor has started to "clock" or rotate within the extractor tunnel. You also may have a dirty magazine (I know you said the piece was clean, but did you clean the mags?). At any rate, you will need to be more specific as to where exactly is the round when it hangs up. Love the 1911, PI (they DO make a good 1911) and the forum.

C......

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster
    As a recent Citadel Compact owner, I'm interested to see the cause of this myself. Like you I haven't experienced a single FTF or FTE so far.
    I was wondering if the round that is jamming up is being fed into the barrel, but not closing on the round or is it jamming on the ramp?
    Don
    Thank you for the responses.

To answer the questions, and sorry for not giving this detail in my first email, all the rounds but two were jamming up on top of the feed ramp/bottom of the barrel throat. The magazines were indeed clean. I often feel like a freak for cleaning them as often as I do but it is something my grandfather taught me to do and it just stuck...which I suppose is a good thing. Oh and I purchased the weapon new.

I am going to break the gun down again this weekend and give it a thorough going over. Perhaps I will find something that I previously missed.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by irishbull44; 1st October 2010 at 22:35.

Posts liked by others
    I too just got a new Citadel CS. Only shot a box's worth a couple of days ago. Same feeding-ejecting issue. Hope it straightens out by the time I have fired about 500 rds. All words of advice will be appreciated. TIA

Posts liked by others
    the citadel cs is the same as the RIA CS so you can send it to nevada andhave it serviced by one of the greatest warranty centers in the biz..that being said I can tell you from experience that the compacts like alot of lybe when breaking them in. but with 850 rounds you have probably done that already.. sounds like your extractrr needs a little tweeking. A round not feeding properly could have bent it a little or you have some fouling and its not grabbing the next round properly. Strip oit down and give it a really good scrubbing and give it a good blow with some compressed air and then lube the heck outta it

Posts liked by others

Still having issues

Happy Monday to everyone.

I wanted to update everyone regarding the problem I began having with my pistol last week.

I stripped the weapon down Sunday, cleaned it up again, lubed it and took it back out for some range time. I put 75 rounds through it with 9 failures to feed before I called it good for the afternoon. I am stumped as to what suddenly started causing this to happen since as I stated in my original post I have had to problems to this point.

I may give the folks at the factory a call to see if they have any ideas but would rather not have to go through the whole shipping and waiting to get the weapon back process if I can avoid it. I suppose I could have the folks at Springer Precision take a look at it since they are local. They are known for their work on the Springfield XD's but I have been told they know there stuff when it comes to the 1911.

Take care folks.

Cheers.
    Last edited by irishbull44; 4th October 2010 at 21:03.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope I never have the same problem your having, but if I do it would be great to know what to do about it. If I did have the problem after stripping it, examining it, cleaning and lubing it, not knowing what else to do I guess I'd start swapping out parts. Starting with the recoil spring or the extractor.
    Don

Posts liked by others

Failure to Fully Return to Battery

I just got a used Citadel Compact 45--very little wear, and experienced numerous FTF-not going fully into battery. I will check out the extractor, etc and post again. Hard to get range time these days.
    Gun is still box stock, but that will get changed over time.
    Super forum!
    Last edited by HJ451; 12th October 2010 at 12:54. Reason: Forgot Title

Posts liked by others
    At this point, it appears the discussion should be about troubleshooting, rather than asking other Citadel owners if they have had the same problem. The place to discuss troubleshooting is the "Gunsmithing, Troubleshooting & Refinishing" area of the forum.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside