Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper lube for Kimber 1911's

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Proper lube for Kimber 1911's

I'm sure I'm "beating a dead horse with this question but as I'm soon to be new to the 1911 family I'll ask anyway. Is there a "proper" or recomended lube for this type of firearm specificaly the Kimber Brand. I've always used Mil-Spec in the past with great results. I simply want to protect my investment the best I can, so it will protect me the best it can.
    AL

Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self-control, is like a city broken into and left without walls.

Posts liked by others
    I think Kimber recommends FP-10 lube and usually includes a sample packet in the carrying case.

Posts liked by others
    I've found that with the Kimbers, grease will not perform well. A lighter oil seems to work much better, especially in the first 500-750 rounds of the break in process. The FP-10 like said should be good as well as Breakfree and other good quality gun oils. They like "wet".

Posts liked by others
    Thanks guys. Just want to be sure I get it right from the start ...
    AL

Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self-control, is like a city broken into and left without walls.

Posts liked by others
    There's certainly nothing wrong with FP-10. I used that on my Kimber's when they were new until it ran out.

For cleaning I use Breakfree CLP and now for lube I've switched over to Wilson's Ultima Lube. I also use their grease only for the slide rails. Problem free so far.

Posts liked by others
    I use Militec on all my handgun's and it works great for me.

Posts liked by others
    I use GunButter. Really nice.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by asaling
    Is there a "proper" or recomended lube for this type of firearm specificaly the Kimber Brand.
    Why would lubricant for a Kimber 1911 be any different than lubricant for any other 1911? The mechanisms are all the same, or they wouldn't be 1911s.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon - It's a question I neded to ask as I'm NEW to the 1911's. I'm aware that the are all similar but didn't know if just maybe some brands work better with certian products. I use Mil Spec on all my other pistols/revolvers with very good results and didn't want to use something that wasn't compatible. A couple of responders mentioned that the 1911's "like wet lube". Guess I'll use what the manufactor recomends.

Didn't mean to ask a stupid question!
    AL

Posts liked by others
    BreakFree CLP for all my guns; including the Kimbers.

Take care,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 8th September 2010 at 13:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast