Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk vs Ed Brown

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Nighthawk vs Ed Brown

I am a police officer in my town and I am want to buy a reliable 1911 to carry off duty with me. I am thinking about either a NightHawk Custom T3 stainless or an Ed Brown Massad Ayoob edition. Does anyone have experience with both to help me decided which is better?

Posts liked by others
    Not exactly those models, but I have a Nighthawk Talon III (the predecessor to the T3) and an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Both are excellent guns, and I doubt that you could go far wrong with either. FWIW, Nighthawk generally has a better reputation for customer service.

I reviewed my Talon III in this thread: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=258282.

And both the Ed Brown and the Talon III had featured roles in this article: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=39.

The T3 is, of course, a CCO type -- Commander size top end on an Officer size frame. I believe the Ed Brown Massad Ayoob is full size. So the T3 should be a easier and more comfortable to conceal. Pn the other handi IME Ed Browns are especially nicely finished.

Over all, I'd say that the quality was comparable. So it boils down to a personal choice based on what features you'd like.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    +1 with Frank. The other benefit to NH is that they will mix and match anything you want on a pistol and customize it the way YOU want. I have no experience with EB, but I am not sure if they are as open to customization as NH is.

Good Luck!
    Current LEO and NRA Life Member
    "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these"

-George Washington Carver

Posts liked by others
    NHC all the way. Both make great guns but NHC is much easier to deal with and they back their products up.

Posts liked by others
    I can say that NHC will back up their product all the way. They really do want you to be thoroughly satisfied with their product. I have no experience with Ed Brown products.

Posts liked by others
    Thats a tough one. They are both incredible pieces.

Posts liked by others
    I'd go with NH just because they have customer service. I don't remember any threads or posts with a complaint about NH customer service.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Night Hawk would be my pick. For the reasons already stated by others.
    Harrison/Baer - Dan Wesson Valor- 10mm TRP Longslide w/Trijicon RMR

Posts liked by others
    I own a Nighthawk Custom Predator II and I owned an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. I would not buy another Ed Brown, but will buy another Nighthawk Custom. Scroll through the Ed Brown forum looking for people with problems, then scroll through the Nighthawk Custom board. You'll start to see a pattern of problems and how the companies deal with them.

Posts liked by others

T-3 vs Massad Ayoob

Tough choice.
    For EDC, I personally would lean toward the Ed Brown. I really like the size of my Executive Carry, but the T-3 is one heck of a shooter. The G-10 grips are a bit aggressive, but you can spec out anything.
    The Massad Ayoob edition is somewhat different then my Model EC-SS-A, although they feel very much alike. This pistol feel real comfortable as a concealed carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast