Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt supplied Novak sights?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt supplied Novak sights?

I saw a mention on the Colt Light Weight Government thread of Colt's intent to use real Novaks from now on. I wanted to asked a question there but thought better another thread. I must confess that I had not known there was a difference until recently between the "novaks" colt was using and a real novak.
    I would appreciate any information anyone can supply on the differences between these sights as supplied by colt as original equipment.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by chuntaro
    I saw a mention on the Colt Light Weight Government thread of Colt's intent to use real Novaks from now on. I wanted to asked a question there but thought better another thread. I must confess that I had not known there was a difference until recently between the "novaks" colt was using and a real novak.
    I would appreciate any information anyone can supply on the differences between these sights as supplied by colt as original equipment.
    Me too! I don't know the difference. Maybe someone can educate us on that. My Colt XSE LW Commander's rear sight looks like a Novak's but is a Champion rear sight.

Posts liked by others
    The Novak knock-offs that I've seen, on Colts and Les Baers, have serrations on the sides of the sight, and that seems like the easiest way to identify non-Novaks. Changing them out for Heinie's seems to be the best solution, if you don't like them.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by RickB; 20th June 2010 at 20:30.

Posts liked by others
    When I first got my XSEs[Nov. 2005]I wanted to put night sights on them,so, I ordered Novaks from Brownells.After twisting off two Chapman hex heads to loosen the adjusting screw I call Novaks and was told,"those are not Novaks they are cheap Chinese knockoffs".Now, I have since been told that they were Champions. I don't know,but what I do know is the adjuster screws on mine were not screws at all they were cast into the sight to look like screws!I have been very happy with the real Novaks[who isn't?] but I have since put an MMC adjustable on one pistol.It was supposed to be for the Novak cut but in truth the front slope was so far off I had to work on it for quiet a while.[Yes,I DO know how to fit sights]It wasn't a matter of cutting the bottom of the sight,the front angle was WAY too steep. A little work,a little Pro Blue,looks great and works like gangbusters. Nick
    If you haven't got time to do it right,when will you have time to do it again?

Posts liked by others
    interestingly my 2005 XSE has actual Novak's (at least the rear sight is) and has that written on the sight...I have heard that the knockoffs are Champion's too...
    Bill
    Teddy "Jacobsonized" *SiGarms GSR Revolution STX*.45ACP*Kimber Custom ll .45ACP*Colt Government (1933 vintage) in Super .38ACP*Colt Government XSE .45ACP*Taurus PT1911AL
    *NRA Benefactor Member*LEAA Life Member**Like what you have-Thank a Veteran.*

Posts liked by others
    Lightweight Commander XSE bought last October has "Colt" on the side of the rear sight and the serrations.

Combat Elite XSE bought in early March has "NOVAK'S" on the rear sight.

Take care,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 21st June 2010 at 08:16.

Posts liked by others
    My understanding is that Champion has thier sites manufactured in China. Neither here nor there, Just FYI.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks FLYINGFISH,that probably is the explaination of the seemingly contradicting info I had been given. Nick
    If you haven't got time to do it right,when will you have time to do it again?

Posts liked by others
    I appreciate all the information that has been provided. The information about the use of the knock off on some Les Baer pistols was a real surprise. I certainly did not expect that. I am given to understand there is some dimensional differences between the knock off and the true novak. Does anyone know if that is indeed the case?

Posts liked by others
    Ed Brown is also using the Novak knock off...
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast