Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 70 Series in 9mm

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt 70 Series in 9mm

Gents; and Ladies too:

My local gun shop has an interesting pistol for sale. It's a 70 Series 1911 in 9mm. I would guestimate that the gun is close to 95% condition. While I'm a 1911 die-hard, I've only had experience with .45 and .38 Super. The shop is asking $1100 for it, which "seems" a little high, but again, I have no experience with a 9mm. I'm not really a fan of the 9mm, but it is a Colt, and I want to get my wife back into shooting with me more and figured the recoil would be quite managable.

Has anyone had much experience with this pistol? Good/Bad? What do you think of the price? Your help would be appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    That price might be a bit high. 9mm Colt's are hard to find and the price reflects it. If you really like this pistol, you could make a cash offer and see what happens. Keep in mind that Colt has some 9mm offerings in their lineup again. However, a Colt 9mm without the Series 80 firing pin safety, might not be in the works.

The appeal for me and a 9mm is the cost of shooting. 45 is just too expensive unless you're sure to get almost all of the brass back.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Thats a tough one! Decisions, decisions!

Posts liked by others
    Depending on condition $1100 might not be too much. Colt didn't make a whole bunch of the Series 70s GM in 9mm. They don't seem to be encountered on the used market that much either. While not a rare gun, it certainly isn't as common or abundant as the .38 Super and .45 ACP.
    I did see one for sale recently at a gun show in Jackonville FL. Seems to me the price was close to this one, maybe a little more, can't remember how much. The gun was nice though.
    The original Colt's Series 70 pistols in very good condition seem to be priced in the $1000 range around here. If the box and paperwork are there it might be worth considering. I always ask "What's your best price".
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    well if you've seen it and it appears as stated that may not be too bad...
    cheaper to shoot and good for practice, along with the advantages you stated for your wife...
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    I bought a Colt Commander in 9mm for $1000 OTD and think I got a good deal. There aren't that many for sale in Texas that I have seen and the ones I have seen for sale are 2-$300 more, usually. Its a cheap ammo, fun gun to shoot. I'd grab it if I wanted it.

Posts liked by others
    I also just purchased 70 era combat commander 9mm very good condition no box or papers.975.00
    Last edited by sideways; 22nd June 2010 at 18:51.

Posts liked by others
    Sold this 9mm Commander not long ago for just south of $1,500

Shooting more, typing less

Posts liked by others
    Thats about the going price for a NIB 9mm Commander.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up 9mm 1911

Gents,

First my thanks to all who responded to my questions. I admit I do like the idea of doing more shooting than I can afford with my .45 or .38 Supers. Here in Ohio where I live, 9mm is fairly reasonable. While I've had 9mm in other pistols (a Browning Hi-Power and a CZ-75), I've never been much impressed by the cartridge. That said, from what I've seen in your responses, the price may be a little high, though in the "ball park". Think I'll see what my gunshop is willing to do on a straight up cash deal. Again, thank you all for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast