Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Is there an extractor for the 1911 9mm RIA?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Is there an extractor for the 1911 9mm RIA?

I couldn't help but not notice I couldn't find the extractor on this gun. Are these only for the 45 auto style?

Posts liked by others
    to the forum 1911MN, yes you have a extractor on your pistol. read your manual it has a parts diagram in it .

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by nightal
    to the forum 1911MN, yes you have a extractor on your pistol. read your manual it has a parts diagram in it .
    Are you sure the 9mm has one? I don't see it! I'll have to take it apart again and have another look!

Posts liked by others
    Did you look at your parts diagram?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by nightal
    Did you look at your parts diagram?
    Yes I did. Unfortunately this diagram is for the RIA 1911 45. I'm guessing they were too busy to make an actual manual for the 9mm variant? I won't know until someone confirms it though.

Posts liked by others
    It's the same pistol, just 9mm. instead of .45cal.Go to the top of the page on the left side click on the M 1911 home page, it's all there.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911MN
    I couldn't help but not notice I couldn't find the extractor on this gun. Are these only for the 45 auto style?

what other 1911 do you have?

i can only presume you have one with an "external" extractor
    Kimber (depending on year it was made) S&W, or SIG.
    and that's why the confusion ??????

almost all the other 1911 manufactures use an "internal" ext'r.
    Which is the original design

the ext'r is inside the slide and you only see the back of it and the hook
    that little circle like piece on the back of the slide is the rear end of the ext'r.
    At the breach face near the firing pin hole (where the firing strikes the primmer) you'll see the ext'r hook protruding appx 1/8" out of the slide on the ejection port side.

That's your ext'r

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    Look at the back of your slide. Just to the right of the hammer notch is a circular piece (with a small slice lopped off the left edge at the hammer notch). That's the back end of the extractor.

Now imagine/visualize a rod running forward from that and poking through the breechface at the right side, just inside the ejection port. Look in through the port, and you will see the extractor hook, right there.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 13th June 2010 at 10:13.

Posts liked by others
    Ah, wow. I finally found the extractor. They did such a good paint job on this one that I couldn't see the darn thing. It was a pain to pull out compared to my other gun. Thanks for the help though guys.