Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke a Nork Today

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Broke a Nork Today

Early arrival Nork that I picked up in January broke today during my M-W-F
    constitutional.

Tim was bangin' away, as per the plan, when the pistol locked open on the empty mag as per design...but somethin' was wrong. Mag was TIGHT comin' out...and the slide wouldn't drop on a fresh mag. Although the slide was locked, the stop wasn't engaged...Slide wasn't quite back far enough. Slide wouldn't move forward because the disconnect was frozen.

Peeked into the magwell and could see somethin' in there, but couldn't make out what it was. Tossed the pistol on the table and handed Tim one of my Colts so he could finish out his ammo allotment...policed brass, packed up and headed home for the second round of turbocoffee. Assumed that a chunk had broken off the disconnect.

Got the MSH out and the slide tripped. Whack! Pin fell out. I thought it was the sear pin. Turned out to be the end of the hammer strut, snapped off at the junction. 5-minute fix. All is well. Used a new-design Colt strut. A deviation from original design, but real steel and ****-for-stout.

Only seen one other real steel strut break like that...in a 1915 GI Colt. Seen a few MIM and cast aftermarkets let go...but only the two steel struts.

Estimated round count on the gun since we've had it is in the 'hood of 20,000.
    No tellin' how many before it came here, but the gun had obviously been around the block a few times. Other than replacing the original barrel with a
    1991A1 take-off, and a new Colt sear spring...the gun was stock.(Well...a little of the "Poor Man's Trigger Job" was done to eliminate the old Creep'n'Grit.)

I'll include this experience in the comprehensive Nork Report, comin' soon to a forum near you.

Posts liked by others
    I'm glad to hear it was something you could take care of easily and not face the prospect of turning your Nork into a desktop pencil holder.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others

Pencil Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Joni Lynn
    I'm glad to hear it was something you could take care of easily and not face the prospect of turning your Nork into a desktop pencil holder.

Nahhhhh...Unless one shatters in my hand, I can always get'em up and runnin' again. Only folks who've got a bigger spare parts inventory than me is Brownells.

Posts liked by others
    Oh DUH!!!!! I didn't look at who posted that or I wouldn't have said that.
    I have only this for an excuse, I was at work and tired........
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    LoL, I read Lynnie's post and I was wondering if she saw who was the starter of this thread! LoL, then I thought it was her way of being a ... professional pest. Girl, thanks for making me laugh!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    You're welcome John and Tuner! Glad I made someone grin!
    I did something right the other day. A friend of my fathers told him of a S&W 16-4 32H&R mag at the local Gander. When we handled it the cylinder wouldn't close without a good bit of excessive force. The salesman was a student of mine when I taught and he told me the gunsmith looked at it and declared it had a severe problem he couldn't fix. They priced it down a 'little' bit and I told my dad to buy it.
    Got it home took it all apart, lubed what is probably an unfired gun since it was bone dry with no appearance of any firing and then pulled the ejector rod locking latch from the barrel underlug, cleaned and lubed it. The gun is good as new and I'm not telling them, their 'smith probably can't cook either.
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others

Grinnin'

heh heh...Yep Joni...I've got myself a few sweet deals on guns with "big problems" that took about 10 minutes to straighten out.

Posts liked by others
    A guy once brought a 22 rifle of some sort to the 'smith that is a life long friend of my father's and asked him if he wanted it for parts. he had it at 'The Gunsmith' near by and it was pronounced unfixable. The guy took the gun inside, 10 minutes later came back and handed the guy a fixed gun. Old gun, 25 cent spring which wasn't made anymore. Duh!!! Same gunsmith ground down the top of a receiver once to fit a scope base instead of altering the base or (duh!) getting the correct one for the gun. It wouldn't have looked so bad if he had at least touched up the blueing. Anothe 'smith that probably eats out.
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    The only part that broke in my Nork was the barrel bushing. It was a quick fix also because I have a lot of 1911 spare parts in my parts box.

Posts liked by others
    Gee, Tunerman, my Norinco #1 is at about the 20,000 round mark now. Should I immediately take it all apart and replace the strut?

Eh, think I'll wait for it to actually break, since nuthin' else has yet! Just normal upkeep of springs, and an extractor tweak every 5,000 rds. or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast