Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: .45 ACP loads as a pig hunting back up gun

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

.45 ACP loads as a pig hunting back up gun

I plant to knock down a pig with a .308, but I want to carry the old 1911 as back up. Any thoughts on a load that might do the trick?

I realize the .45 is not a great round for pig hunting, and I usually carry a .357 mag. However, if a wounded boar squares off with me at 15 feet, I would rather hit him with an auto and keep pulling the trigger.

Any thoughts on manufacturer and bullet weight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Turk

Posts liked by others
    Pigs are tough animals and penetration is going to be more important than expansion. I am thinking a 230 grain FMJ load would be most desirable for this application. Other loads that might work well would be Hornady's +P loaded 230 grain JHP/XTP or their 230 grain FMJ/FP. The jacketed flat point might be the best compromise.

If you reload, you could load up some jacketed or cast lead 230 grain flat points to around 900 feet per second.

Posts liked by others
    Hello. What Stans said.

Best.

Posts liked by others
    A hollow point would probably fill up with hair/skin/godknowswhat, so I also beleive a harball traveling fast, followed by several more, should do the trick. I hope you never have to find out...
    Les Baer PII & PII Tac both w/1½"@50yd,Ed Brown Exec Target, SA TGO2,Trophy Match Longslide,TRP,Kimber Gr. Raptor,Classic Royal, Pro CDP, Seecamp .32,Colt Anaconda, Gov't 380, S&W 686, 642, - Dillon XL650 to feed 'em Newest, most laidback 1911 forum on the net: www.1911auto.org

Posts liked by others
    After dispatching well over 100 hogs in my life, I personally look more for penetration, than expansion. I prefer a heavy loaded, solid cast LSWC in .44 Mag or .45 Colt.
    I love my slabsides, but I don't think they are hunting weapons, or suitable for a last ditch shot at a hog. 230 grains at 850 fps is not enough. 300 grains, at 1400 fps is sometimes, barely enough.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the input. I may not even own a handgun big enough. My choices are 9mm (out), .45ACP (marginal) and .357 mag (marginal). I suppose I'll get some heavy duty .357 loads and hope it doesnt come down to it.

I have only knocked down 1 pig with a handgun, and I hit him between the eyes with a .357. It worked like a charm, but may have been a lucky shot!

WT

Posts liked by others
    A well placed hard cast bullet in the mellon should do the trick, but such optimum shots rarely present themselves. I make it a point to always do my part to insure a quick and humane kill. A PA size deer would be about the only large game species that I would consider taking with my 45, but I wouldn't stretch it past 25 yards.
    Sam in Miami is right about hogs, they are a tough animal and take a &%$# load of punishment before being subdued. Stick with the rifle and enjoy your hunt.