Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Getting Started

I am thinking about getting into IDPA or something similar next fall. I'm not interested in competing per se, I just would like to learn and practice some basic defensive shooting skills. I also will not have a great deal of disposable income. No, I haven't read the rule book, because every time I try to download it, I get the first page followed by a bunch of blanks.

What equipment do I need to get started, and how long can I get by that way? I have a few pistols: a P14 with the nonstandard extractor; an older P14; a steel LTC; a Springfield GI; and a Beretta 92FS. All are stock. I will probably want to use the P14 more often than not. I have at least a dozen magazines for each.

Will a simple UM84 holster and web belt get me by for awhile? EDIT I finally got the rule book to download, and this holster/belt appears to be a no-go.

Are there any special requirements as far as clothing, such as in SASS? I just want to learn to shoot, and don't want to constantly get hassled for not having the right kind of boots. What little money I have will go toward ammo, not costumes.
    Last edited by Otterstedt; 2nd December 2009 at 06:56.

Posts liked by others
    IDPA matches are all shot from concealment so you will need a "covering garment". Most folks use one of those "photographer vests" or something similar. Or you can just wear your jacket if the weather's not too hot. That is the only clothing requirement other than the belt and holster setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterstedt
    I am thinking about getting into IDPA or something similar next fall. I'm not interested in competing per se, I just would like to learn and practice some basic defensive shooting skills.
    A few words need to be said here about IDPA. This is not a knock against them, I make these statements purely for clarification.

Most folks make the mistake of believing the because the "D" stands for defensive that you can learn to defend yourself by competing in IDPA. You need to understand that IDPA is first and foremost a competition. If you play by the rules, you will not be following proper defensive techniques.

You will learn to draw and fire an accurate shot under time pressure. You will learn some reloading techniques, and you will learn to transition to multiple targets. These are all good basic skills to learn and practice. What you will NOT learn is how to defend yourself with a pistol. For that you need training under a qualified self defense instructor.

IDPA is fun, and you will meet a lot of nice folks. Just don't go into it with false expectations or you will be disappointed.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    To echo what Garrett has said, IDPA (and USPSA) is a good way to practice basic skills, including gun handling, moving safely with a loaded gun, shooting fast and accurately, shooting from unconventional postures, etc. Competitino also supplies some stress, and it's good to learn to perform under stress.

I heartily recommend competition. I also recommend taking a self defense oriented class once in a while.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    Most folks make the mistake of believing the because the "D" stands for defensive that you can learn to defend yourself by competing in IDPA. You need to understand that IDPA is first and foremost a competition. If you play by the rules, you will not be following proper defensive techniques.

You will learn to draw and fire an accurate shot under time pressure. You will learn some reloading techniques, and you will learn to transition to multiple targets. These are all good basic skills to learn and practice. What you will NOT learn is how to defend yourself with a pistol. For that you need training under a qualified self defense instructor.

IDPA is fun, and you will meet a lot of nice folks. Just don't go into it with false expectations or you will be disappointed.
    I fully understand that it is primarily a competition, and that leads to actions that would be unwise or even dangerous in an actual defensive exchange. All the things you mention in the second paragraph are the things I am looking to improve. What little handgun shooting I have done has been at stationary targets at 25 yards, while stationary. So, though "defensive" shooting may not be the ideal way to learn gunhandling skills, nevertheless, any quantity greater than zero...

I would like to take both carbine and handgun courses at some point.

After reading the rulebook a little, I am getting the impression these events revolve around the idea of concealed carry. I don't believe my current equipage is well suited for that practice.
    Last edited by Otterstedt; 2nd December 2009 at 10:51.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Otterstedt
    So, though "defensive" shooting may not be the ideal way to learn gunhandling skills, nevertheless, any quantity greater than zero...
    Agreed, and it is an excellent venue for that. And as Frank mentioned the stress of the clock and having your buddies razzing you from the peanut gallery will certainly get the stress level up enough to make you work.

The best way to practice gun handling skills IMHO is through dry practice in your basement/garage. You can go slow and deliberately without the distractions of gunfire and assorted noise and get the motions down pat. Just like any other sport you practice the fundamentals a little bit each day during the week. The you validate your practice on Saturday when it's game time.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I too would like to try IDPA, and I'd love to find time and money to attend Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or whatever -- but I echo the above comments about defensive classes available to you. We have man in our area who teaches an array of defensive firearms classes in handgun, carbine and shotgun and I've attended as many as I can. He is not Green Beret/Special Forces/SAS whatever, but he is an active police officer who gives affordable, fast-paced, well-run courses that at least introduce you to basic and more advanced skills, low-light, movement, shooting from vehicles, operating in pairs, etc. There is no doubt that I have learned more from classes like these than from any amount of "standing and plinking" on my own.

Posts liked by others
    Otter,

IDPA is geared toward defensive shooting but dont let that stop you. If you have a a gun and some mags they'll let you shoot. We've had several people show up with no mags/holster and shoot. Instead of drawing they just start from the low ready.

Dont even worry about cover the first couple of times.

If I were you this is what I would do. Sell the beretta and the springfield GI.

Buy a springfield loaded model or similiar.

A decent holster and mag pouches will run you 50 bucks or so. You said you had mags but I'd make sure I had 6 or so that ran in your gun.

Then buy reloading stuff for .45. You can start this up for a couple hundred bucks.

I only shoot .45 so I compete in CDP in IDPA and Single Stack in USPSA.

The nice thing about these two categories is that its not an equipment race. Everyone uses the same basic stuff.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by RRFlyer
    Actually, the Beretta wouldn't be bad for the Stock Service Pistol division.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by RRFlyer
    I ain't sellin' nuthin'!

Buy a springfield loaded model or similiar.
    I wouldn't mind having either the black stainless or the green and black Champion. Of course, I have the LTC, which is similar to the Champion, though alot of people don't like Para.

If I had the money, I'd like to get a Custom Compact. Would that do?

Then buy reloading stuff for .45. You can start this up for a couple hundred bucks.
    I already have a single-stage and manuals, and plenty of Unique to get me started. All I would need is dies.

I only shoot .45 so I compete in CDP in IDPA and Single Stack in USPSA.
    The nice thing about these two categories is that its not an equipment race. Everyone uses the same basic stuff.
    That's where I'm at.

Posts liked by others
    There is a great writeup on this in the latest Handguns magazine I believe. They weight the differences between the IDPA and IPSC types of matches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast