Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: citadel vs ria

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

citadel vs ria

In magazines I have the citadel is advertized as forged frame and slide. if they are made in the same plant as ria, why aren't they investment cast like the ria's are? Iam under the impression that the ria frames are cast. Am I wrong?

Posts liked by others
    Ya' know Bruce, I have no idea if they are made in the same plant. However,I do know that there is Armscor/Rock Island Armory/STI(stinger i think)/Citadel - and they are all made by the people.........why don't they all say Armscor??. I do believe you are correct that the frames are cast. I was curious as to what type of metal my Rock was made from,but couldn't find an answer.....then ironically my mother was looking around on the web site and saw this little tag that said...'certified ISO 9001' I think it was,and she says.." That's very good steel!". I have to take her word for it.....`cause that's what she does for a living. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anything "CAST". Where the problems usually lay are in the secondary metals and what the part is to be used for,and choosing the right balance of 'Strong' steel and 'Tough' steel. Well,there's also the method by which the item is cast as well.

any help?
    cody

Posts liked by others
    ISO 9001 has absolutely nothing to do with the metal that is used to produce guns. ISO 9000 standards are a set of quality management standards that deal with the manufacturing process. As for the OP, sorry I cannot help you there.
    Last edited by RamHemiTX; 7th November 2009 at 07:46.

Posts liked by others
    I was just under the impresson they were two versions of the same gun, It wouldnt be the first time I was wrong. not that Im worried about the casting issue, just why do it two different ways if they came from the same place.

Posts liked by others
    Legacy Sports are the people who import and sell the Citadel. Thier site says "cast frames". Might be some confusion as they mention forged slides on a particular model. Cast frame it is,nothing wrong with that. Spad
    NRA LIFE
    Veteran
    Colt Combat Commander Series 70, Colt Gold Cup Series 70, Rock Island Nickel Tactical, Rock Island Compact, Colt Defender,all .45ACP, Ruger 1911/9mm

Posts liked by others
    The same people make both the RIA and the Citadel. Warranty is done by Armscor in Pahrump, Neveda. Ivan Wilcox (Sales Manager) & Arnel Bernardo (Gunsmith) - Arnel does outstanding work!!

Frames are cast, slides are extruded steel.

An older post from Armscor explaining the production & warranty. HOWA/Legacy Sports 1911
    https://forum.m1911.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22562&dateline=160003  0626 The Natural Enemy of Guns: Rust & Politicians.
    Last edited by MCPO; 7th November 2009 at 16:04.

Posts liked by others
    It must have been a misprint in the ad then. I was thinking that they were different versions of the same pistol. No big deal, just got me confused.