Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt .38 Super?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt .38 Super?

This is my first time posting on this forum, so any help will be greatly appriciated. I have a friend with a 1911 Colt, marked model 1911, Colt logo on left side, serial #782XX, on the right marked "Colt's MFG. Co, Hartford CT USA". It appears to be a .45 but it is .38 Super, however there are no markings indicating the caliber anywhere. Please help me to identify this.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Post some pictures of your friend's pistol. There are some knowledgeable folks here, who will help, but nothing much they can do without seeing the thing.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by viking6
    This is my first time posting on this forum, so any help will be greatly appriciated. I have a friend with a 1911 Colt, marked model 1911, Colt logo on left side, serial #782XX, on the right marked "Colt's MFG. Co, Hartford CT USA". It appears to be a .45 but it is .38 Super, however there are no markings indicating the caliber anywhere. Please help me to identify this.
    It may be a .38 Super, but it's not a Super .38. Super .38s were so marked on the slide. If it really is a 1911 and not a 1911A1, it's pre-WWI. A commercial 1911 would be marked "Government Model," not Model 1911.

Colt serial numbers for military pistols began with "NO." Colt serial numbers for commercial pistols had a C prefix before WWII, and a C suffix after WWII, until the advent of GCA '68.

Pictures would help mightily in this case.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Post some pictures of your friend's pistol. There are some knowledgeable folks here, who will help, but nothing much they can do without seeing the thing.
    Thank you Sir, I am honored to be part of this forum. I will work on pictures ASAP.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    It may be a .38 Super, but it's not a Super .38. Super .38s were so marked on the slide. If it really is a 1911 and not a 1911A1, it's pre-WWI. A commercial 1911 would be marked "Government Model," not Model 1911.

Colt serial numbers for military pistols began with "NO." Colt serial numbers for commercial pistols had a C prefix before WWII, and a C suffix after WWII, until the advent of GCA '68.

Pictures would help mightily in this case.

Regards,

Walt
    Thank you Sir for your information and I will work on posting pictures ASAP.

Posts liked by others
    .38 Supers prior to 1969 do not have serial number prefixes or suffixes.
    78200 dates to 1949 but other items in your description do not jibe.

Posts liked by others
    Since my last posting I have aquired the 1911 pistol! It is my first 1911! The original information that I gathered during a phone conversation turned out to be incorrect. As you will see in the pictures, it does not state 1911 anywhere, and it does state the caliber "Super .38". It appears original, in 90%+, blue is mirror on sides, matte on top. Any further info would be great.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on your new Colt!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    OK guys and gals, now I have a question. What is the difference between a .38 Super and a Super .38? Do they shoot the same cartridge? I noticed Viking6 picture says Super .38. While I do not have a Colt, I do have a Llama marked .38 Super.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by patriotic
    OK guys and gals, now I have a question. What is the difference between a .38 Super and a Super .38? Do they shoot the same cartridge? I noticed Viking6 picture says Super .38. While I do not have a Colt, I do have a Llama marked .38 Super.
    "Super 38" is a Colt Model Name.

".38 Super" is a Colt Cartridge Name.

So "Super 38" is a pistol, ".38 Super," a cartridge.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast