Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Leaf spring problems

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Leaf spring problems

I'm having a big problem with the leaf spring. Did a detail strip last night and when I put everything back together, the hammer and sear would not engage. I added tension to the leaf spring but nothing worked.... now, the grip safety won't work either. No matter how much tension I put on the grip safety, it still will not work. After maybe an hour of fooling around, I finally got the leaf spring to engage the sear and disconnector, but still the grip safety had no tension on it and the gun will fire without even touching the grip safety. It looks like the right leg of the leaf spring is slipping off and not holding tension...

Any help? Think I can fix this on my own or do I need some new parts or maybe a trip to the 'smith?
    The M1911 - The original, The best.

Make sure the sear (leaf) spring is fitted in the slot near the bottom of the frame. The left leg should be sitting on the sear, the middle on the disconnector, and the right leg will take care of itself.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

That what I'm doing. No matter how much tension I put on the leaf spring, the grip safety will not function.

Blog Entries
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Thanks. Just spent the last 20 mins looking for that lol. Hopefully it will help.

Fixed it. That sear spring was so bent I had to use pliars to get it to seat straight. Should be ok for now, but I am going to order a new one from Brownelles tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    See the Brownells banner above? I would suggest you click on it and order a new Colt sear spring. Cheap insurance towards reliable operation of the pistol.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

The sear spring shown in the link in Post #4 is a (Clark?) 4 leaf spring. Here's what a standard 3 leaf (center leaf not split) sear spring looks like when properly installed with the slide off and hammer down:

When installing the new one, put the bottom tab in its frame slot, lay the upper leafs down on top of everything - and then slide the mainspring housing in about half way to keep the spring in place.

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Quote Originally Posted by John
    See the Brownells banner above? I would suggest you click on it and order a new Colt sear spring. Cheap insurance towards reliable operation of the pistol.
    +1 on the Colt sear spring. I have had horrible results with other makes of sear spring, even from "name brand" suppliers. Colt's sear spring always seem to be right.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

I'm using the Ed Brown "hardcore" spring I got from brownells. The original Springfield leaf spring that came with the gun broke... I guess I just have bad luck with sear springs.